cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Blue screen and error code 009

Had my NOW TV stick delivered today, I have plugged it in and it couldnt  connect to the internet and I kept getting error code 009, even though every other device in my house was fine with the internet. Came on here to find it's a common issue and took it out a few times and it finally worked after an hour. Connected and it wanted a software update, it updated and automatically restarted and then after restart all I got was a blue screen after the initial NOW TV start up picture. I left it for 45 minutes but found this is also a common problem by going through the community pages. I've unplugged it and getting a blue screen still even though it shows me the NOW TV starting up. After all the advice on here, trying different HDMI ports, unplugging and unplugging in etc. I had to press the reset button. Have reset it and again it took nearly am hour and many unplugs to get it connected to the internet, now its updated the software again to restart and we are again presented with a blue screen. I had 2 of these sticks delivered today and it's the same with both of them except one had been updating the second time for an hour now but is stuck on 8%. Is this a normal thing for this service cause at the moment I am on a free month pass and it's not looking promising! My dad works for the internet company as an engineer and we have tested it today and it's working perfectly fine. Frustrated and I havent even signed in yet, how do o get past the blue screen after it restarts??

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Bit of a long shot, if you have a second or third television in the home, try finishing the stick setup on another television.

Then if the stick does load up and work on another TV move the stick back to the television you want to use it on. 

I tend to use NowTV boxes over Ethernet in my set up and haven't got any first hand experience on error code 009 when initially setting up my boxes over the years on either BT or NowTV Broadband. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have 7 TV's and have tried 4 of them, the one is still stuck on 8% and the other is back for the 3rd time to not being able to connect to the internet with error code 009 😞

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Are you using any VPN service on your Router or have you customised your Router to block any websites.

Have you tried a reboot on your Router?

It sounds to me that something is blocking the software update on the stick. 

Perhaps also try a factory reset on your Router and if necessary factory reset the stick again by holding in the reset button on the stick for about 15 seconds whilst the stick is switched on.

I am also assuming you have tried the power adapter that came with the stick rather then using the USB power off the television. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Also who is your ISP and are you using their supplied Router?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have no idea what a VPN service is, definitely not customised to block any sites, I can get on the NOW tv site and use it on my phone app without issue

I have restarted my router twice yes and am using their router, we had a brand new one 4 weeks ago, we are with BT 

The stick updated the first time, completed the update to 100% and then restarted, it came up with NOW TV and then went to a blue screen and stayed liked that

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I haven't used a BT Home Hub Router in a few years, but see if the newer BT Routers have a smart setup feature on them and if it does try disabling it and factory reset the stick again and see if that works.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If that doesn't work then type error 009 in the search box on the top of the forum page and plough through all the return results. 

Apart from the above I have run out of ideas and unless somebody else on the forum has got any other suggestions.

Like I said I have no first hand experience myself of this particular error code so won't be much further help. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, will try everything, will have to get my dad to try the router tomorrow as I'm not sure how to do any of that

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to mention if you have a smart phone with mobile Internet data on it then try using your smart phone has a mobile WiFi hot-spot with the stick.

Then if it connects let it go through all the necessary updates and once finished swap the WiFi back over to your BT Router and switch off your mobile data on your phone. 

Where I would try this first before switching off the smart setup feature on your BT Router. 

It worked for this person on this link thread below. 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/No-internet-connection-error-009/m-p/500798