cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Activating Now TV Stick - 'Oops somthing went wrong'

Hi

I signed up for a Now TV free trial, and liked the content so I decided to buy a Now TV stick so I could watch on my TV. The stick I bough comes pre-loaded with some passes. 

When I try to activate the stick I get to the 6 digit code on my TV. When I input this to the Now TV website, it recognises my Now TV account then says 'Oops something went wrong at our end;.

I've spent hours on with Live Chat and tried all sorts of suggestions including using a different browser, using a different computer, clearing cookies, re-setting my wifi, re-setting the stick, using browser's incognito mode, but nothing will work. 

I've been in email  correspondence with Now TV over the last few days. Their responses are rather incoherent but seem to be saying that other customers are having the same problem, it's with their technical team but they cannot tell me when (or even if) it will be fixed. I can also see other posts in this forum, but none of them seem to report a satisfactory solution.

Now TV keep reminding me I can use other devices; I remind them that viewing TV on a laptop screen hardly makes for ideal family viewing, and that if I wanted to use other devices then I would not have spent good money on a TV Stick!

My Theory

My Now TV account is currently using a free seven day Entertainment trial. On the Passes and Vouchers screen, there is no green 'Apply a voucher' link under Entertainment pass. All the other passes have this link available. The Now TV stick includes a 1 month Entertainment Pass. The system is unable to apply this pass to my account due to the presence of the free trial, and is therefore unable to proceed. 

My Questions

Given Now TV's inability to assist, I am asking the forum if anyone has ever successfully overcome this problem, and if so how?

Is my theory above likely to be correct? If so, is the problem likely to resolve its self at the weekend when the free entertainment pass expires? Or is my theory a load of nonsense?

Alternatively, is it possible to buy sticks without pre-loaded passes (I gather some people receive paper passes with a code to input) - would success be more likely with one of these sticks and where can I buy one from?

It's very frustrating - I just want to watch TV on my TV!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful. 

Thanks!

69 REPLIES 69
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, did you manage to sort this?currently doing the same to me so frustrating! 

Sorry i cannot answer any of your questions!x

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Not really. In the end, Live Chat gave me new codes for the passes that were included so I could add them to my account. I threw the smart stick in the bin and bought a Chrome cast instead. Probably not the answer you were looking for.

They have sent me a code to order a new Smart Stick, but the code didn't work and I really can't be bothered any more. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thankyou for your reply. I have just been told to take it back to where i purchased it, a load of help that is! I think ill do the same and buy another brand instead. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They kept telling me to take it back (despite it being a problem with Now TV, not the stick). The shop were not keen to take it back, since I'd opened the package and they had no way of knowing if I'd used the passes or not. 

In the end I got a helpful Live Chat person, but they were about the 30th person I spoke to. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

how did the helpful person help?

I too am having the issue with my stick and because of covid -19 the live chat is currently unavailable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi i ended up binning my first stick and ordering another by time it arrived we was in lockdown.. So frustrating because my 2nd stick was doing the exact same thing and this time there was no one to even attempt to help..

Anyway something told me to attempt to use my partners email address ( creating a new account) and it worked straight away. Weird because the first time around now TV didn't suggest anything of the sort. Would have saved me money and time!

Try creating a new account and hopefully it will work for you as well.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User If you create a second account with a different email address, ensure that the original account has no active passes, a payment pin is applied to the account to prevent any new passes being applied and when the help section is up and running you get the whole account deleted. If you leave the account active, you may get charged twice!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My first account Is for my broadband so I need the account open and I've never had activated passes on there, and never will as it won't accept that account onto my stick or anything for that matter 🙂 .. thanks thou @Saint1976 

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Saint1976 

Hi everyone. 

We believe we've fixed the problem causing the error. If you're still experiencing the problem please reply to this post to make us aware.

Thanks

Simon