cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highland
Scholar

Re: ⚠️ RESOLVED - "Sorry NOW TV is currently unavailable" on your stick or Box?

My nowtv branded stick started to show this message more often ever since the major upgrade to the new graphical interface. The stick takes much longer to boot up and load menu images. This issue serves little use but to push people into upgrading.. until the next arguably bloated update that renders the device out of date

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Highland 

There is no device with NOW to "upgrade" to. So if you were to purchase another device it will just be a like for like NOW stick, which will have the same performance issues. 

You could try unplugging your router and stick for a few mintues, whilst it might not work its troubleshooting that staff at NOW will get you to do. 

A worse case option is to set the stick back to factory settings. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

All this being said, if your wanting a reliable device for the NOW app in my opinion you are better served getting an Amazon fire stick. Assuming the Live TV pause/rewind isn't a big deal.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks
Highland
Scholar

Sorry for the late reply - even if unlikely, I suppose a gui that older sticks can't handle, deliberate or not, could lead to upgrading to a new roku 'nowtv' branded stick with a faster processor regardless, for which I am sure both companies benefit given they have a deal. 

I do have a fire tv stick (standard one from 2020, not the 4k) but I'm a disappointed in it compared to the nowtv stick. Amazon have a lot more apps to choose from on their store for the fire stick, you can play games also etc given it runs on android, but the on screen menu layout and search options are not that good. I haven't noticed any drop outs on the fire largely because I don't use it that much.

The main reason I don't use the fire often is that the nowtv stick gives a smoother picture in comparison to the fire stick when using nowtv and netflix. On the fire, shows on those apps play at a lower frame rate, or at least the picture is a little jerky as a result. Changing the fire's settings doesn't make a difference. On pluto tv also, some live channels also go out of synch occasionally on the fire stick too, although that may be also the case with the roku nowtv stick - but I'd need to check. 

Perhaps the netflix and nowtv apps on the fire are just in need of a major update, or the android OS or hardware is part of the issue, who knows.. given nowtv are more or less in competition with amazon's service, I wouldn't put it past anyone to give out a slightly more inferior app for a competitor's platform, or at least not update it as often.

When talking about disconnection issues it might be useful to note which internet provider anyone is using. Talktalk who I use, seem to have a lot of trouble judging by their forums. As well as what set up or modem-router they have (I have an old BT homehub, which I believe may be reason for at least some disconnection issues, esp in not being able to handle too many devices at once). There may be issues with security there too with an old router. I try to keep the router far away from other devices that could cause interference and most of the time make sure nothing else is connecting to the net.

Having said that, before the last major nowtv update which changed the startup screen, the disconnection issues on the nowtv stick were nowhere near as often - the difference is obvious - as it's almost every day at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order a new asus or netgear router soon. After that it's a case of considering changing broadband provider and-or getting someone to test the physical line to the home, or even throwing the nowtv stick away in exchange for a roku that isn't as limited (the new ones are reported to have slightly better receivers for wifi). The fire's usb extender with the nowtv stick doesn't make a difference, so it doesn't seem to be a heat issue. Thanks for the reply

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Highland 

As you mentioned about new NOW hardware, the current stick is no longer being sold on the website and the rumour is that NOW will no longer be producing any new hardware. Rightly so they are hopefully going to focus on the app itself. 

Do you have the Ethernet adapter for the Amazon fire stick? As I use it with my 4K stick and NOW runs perfectly smooth with the picture quality to go along with it. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks
Sweetplay
Observer

I have a box with free view but get my subscription though bt now my box does not work it says now TV is currently unavailable I've done everything I can think of including factory reset and updates but it still doesn't work please help! 

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Sweetplay 

If your billing with NOW is via BT and the box is a BT YouView box then you will need to contact BT directly. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/bt-support

0 Thanks
Cj000
Observer

Hi I have attempted this twice clicking update followed by manual restart of the stick... Still sayin the same message works only if I click the sky store button

0 Thanks
Highland
Scholar

I didn't know about no longer selling nowtv branded roku sticks, it's good that they will focus on the app from now on for all devices. I don't have an ethernet adapter at the moment, but I know I really should to remove the idea that the wifi receiver was part of the problem.

I have been using the fire over the last few days and I have not been getting the same lost connections (yet). If this is not just luck then perhaps it's just a nowtv stick issue. Any new nowtv app updates on the nowtv stick might still solve the problem in future.

ps I'm guessing the judder on some UK shows on the fire relates to the difference in frame rates between UK and US shows - there's an option on the fire to change to 50Hz which might give smoother playback for 25fps UK, but I don't think the nowtv or netflix apps support this mode yet on the fire stick. Either that or some videos are already converted with lost frames, long before they are sent to any device

Thanks

Suthey
Advocate

I have tried this several times.

I have updated software to version 9.4.3.4094.  No other options available.

I am still left with the old favourite "Sorry NOW TV is currently unavailable".

Unable to use the stick and pretty frustrated. If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful. Thanks.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Suthey 

My stick is collecting dust and haven’t used it in a while. All I can suggest would be to set it back to factory settings.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

You could try turning your router off for a few minutes also. 

0 Thanks