cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcl93
Advocate

Smart Box No Longer Working

I have had no problems with my NowTV smart box although I have had it for years.

A couple of days ago whilst watching TV it just turned itself off. It started to boot back up with the Now logo being displayed on the TV with a spinning loading wheel below it. Usually when it does this the box fully loads eventually except this time it kept loading then turning off and repeating this process several times. The purple light would switch to flashing to stationary throughout this process.

We unplugged the power, HDMI etc in an attempt to rectify the problem, however the box continued to be stuck in a loading process.

We left the box overnight but in the morning we were still having issues with the infinite loading screens.

Eventually the box just stopped loading completely and lost its signal to the TV, which is usually something that happens when the box is off, however the box still had one stationary purple light indicating it was still on. We tested different HDMI’s to make sure that wasn’t the problem but to no avail.

Finally we left everything unplugged and I just plugged it back in this evening but the box is still failing to operate whilst maintaining a purple light that indicates it is on and in operation.

In a final attempt after reading advice on here I pressed and held down the factory reset button for approximately 30 seconds however this did absolutely nothing and the box maintained its unwavering, stationary purple light before, during and after I pressed the reset button.

I hope someone can help! The purple light gives me hope that the box is still in operation but I am not entirely sure how else I can try fixing it.

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@hcl93 

Are you able to use a different power cable? Can't mind what the power cable should be though!

That said, sounds like you've done everything reasonable and it's sadly on the way out. What you will need to bear in mind is that NOW do not make or sell any of their own devices anymore and haven't for a couple of years.

If you do want to keep using NOW then make sure to get a supported device from the link below. As a quick recommendation Amazon fire or Roku stick. Or if you are able to really splash out an Apple TV for stupidly fast and in my opinion brilliant device.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
hcl93
Advocate

I am using the power cable that originally came with the box but I’ll see if I can find a different one. I can’t see that being the issue though I managed to get it to display the loading screen again last night and it repeated that process for the best part of an hour.

I just now tried connecting an Ethernet cable in case the box was trying to update and struggling to establish a connection and I unplugged everything then plugged it all back in again and once again it was just stuck on the loading screen on and off before it eventually gave up whilst maintaining the purple light.

I can get the Now app on the PlayStation but I’m missing out on other apps like itvX so may need to bring the roku box I have upstairs downstairs. Which is a shame because I liked the smart box as it meant I could access my apps and live tv on one device without having to switch controllers or HDMI’s etc.

RoyB
Legend

@hcl93 

Yes, I know a lot of people liked that box 😢

But I’m a bit confused about your comments on the Roku box; that should plug in wherever the Smart box plugged in, and switching from live TV on the TV to an app on the Roku box should involve more than switching an input with the TV remote.

And yes, you didn’t have that small step, even, with the smart box; but to be getting tangled up with controllers and swapping HDMI cables sounds like you have more than maxed out the available HDMI inputs on that TV. Though maybe you have…

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RokuSky
Mentor

Sounds like it could be a hardware failure if you are continually seeing the initial splash (loading) screen and then the device restarts. This is rare but unforunately does happen.

Agree with Roy that you should "just" have to switch input between your Roku device and Live TV - it isn't all in one place (with one remote) as it was though which is a shame.

The Roku OS is now integrated into a number of TVs on sale at Currys, Asda & Argos amongst others. These are great value TV sets but obviously it is a more expensive purchase than replacing your Smart Box.

Sorry 😢

RoyB
Legend

@RokuSky @hcl93 @gavs82008 

Above, I should have said ‘involve no more than’

Duh….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.