cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riz
Advocate

No ONT

No ONT at home , only fiber wire and no place to plug in hub. 

17 REPLIES 17
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Riz 

What are you referring to?

As you've tagged this in the streaming box. However talking about fibre wires.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Riz
Advocate
I was suppose to go live today. But the box I have got is to be plugged into a wall box. What I have is a fiber that does not go anywhere into the modem. On searching net, I found that there is something called ONT box that would convert fiber to connection acceptable in NOW modem/Hub. My question is who or from where I can get ONT.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Riz 

As a word of warning, you will have confused many trying to help by posting this in the section that relates to a streaming device. Which is nothing relating to broadband or the router. 

What did you get in the box with your hub/router?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-set-up-my-now-broadband-hub-two

Riz
Advocate
Apologies. As the contact number has kept my holding for total of 1 hour 16 minutes and there is no way to contact NOW. So I guess it was a bad move to go with NOW.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Riz 

My question still stands dude, what did you get in the box when you received the hub? You should be able to connect and get up and running based on what the link I also posted.

Riz
Advocate
A Black router/hub, a connector to go into the wall socket (which I don’t have as there is a fiber cable with green clipping at the end coming out of a small white box in the wall), a wire to go from hub to the connector, and 2 paper manuals , a small cut paper that has login and password. I was suppose to go live today. Received sms at 7am that the engineer is on the way(no one showed up), got another sms by 8am that the setup is done by the engineer(even though no one who’re up). On checking my account on NOW it says that my connection has not gone live.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2 @Jayach 

Tagging you in as I have no idea what a ONT is for @Riz 

RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 @gavs82008 

An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal. Your white box with a wire coming out probably is one.

Does it look like one of these?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

If it does then your property has been cabled for FTTP (Fibre To The Property) which Now don’t sell or supply.

Not that this actually stops you having FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) which is what Now do sell and supply, but that needs to terminate in your property at a Master Socket, like this:-

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wired-home-network/what-type-of-mas...

Have you got one of those, separate from the ONT?

If not then you have a double-headed clusterfail; you could have had the vastly superior FTTP from any of the ISPs who do provide that where you live; and while you have chosen, and could apparently get, the inferior FTTC which is all that Now sell, it would seem that no-one has installed the correct termination that it needs, a Master Socket, not an ONT.

Get back on to Now, and see what the situation is. And while they are deliberating, price up the FTTP offerings available to you, and see if it wouldn’t be better to drop Now before it’s too late.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal. Your white box with a wire coming out probably is one.

From what @Riz is saying the previous occupants seem to have taken the ONT with them.

The white box is probably just a cover over the hole.

@Riz Is there a BT master socket, like @RoyB's post shows? Is it definately fibre and not wire that has been left dangling?