Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

NOW TV News

Today we announced our NOW TV Stick! 

For more information on this and what else we have planned for the year, check out our press release.

Feel free to let us know what you think below! 

137 Replies
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

£15 is a great price. The stick factor form does seem to be popular so I imagine it'll be popular. 

Great to see downloads coming to the mobile apps, it's been a long wait!

Interesting cagey wording about 1080p ... We will have the 'option' and only mentioning Sky-branded channels. Wonder if this means it's a paid option, only Sky's channels will be fullHD, or maybe both! 

Well done on eliminating single-use plastics, I think we can all agree that's a positive. Although I hope that's referring to the little bits of plastic you get inside the box, I'd still like to see cardboard used as the main packaging.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Who fancies a game of voice search bingo with the new streaming stick?

I say 'Brad Pitt' it says 'Big Prat'

I say 'Westworld' it says 'Wayne's World'

I say 'Made in Chelsea' it says 'I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that'

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Reading all the press release articles on the internet this morning, it does sound that there will be an extra premium price to have the full hd quality, where only Sky One, Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports are mentioned.

Nothing said about 5.1 surround sound which is a big disappointment if NowTV are going to increase the PQ Smiley Sad

The TV on/off and volume controls buttons are a great addition together with the voice search and quick access buttons including MY TV and TV Guide on the NowTV smart stick remote controller Smiley Happy

According to the press articles that I have read, the NowTV live TV guide will be populated into one area which is a good idea (all we need now is a full 7 day NowTV EPG instead of the Now & Next).

Hopefully the NowTV smart stick WiFi will be sufficient to cater for most home environments.

Live Pause is also welcomed Smiley Happy

The starting price for the smart stick is excellent value for all the additional features and the most attractive bundle IMO is the one for 1 month Sky Sports for £30 Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

it does sound that there will be an extra premium price to have the full hd quality, where only Sky One, Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports are mentioned.

If that's the case 

image.jpeg

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@manowarrior Yep it will be 50Hz

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If NowTV are going to offer a premium Full HD picture quality on the Sky Sports channels, let's also hope they increase the frame rate from 25fps to 50fps like what BBC iPlayer and BTSports offer, which is a much better viewing experience when watching sports.

To my eyes 25fps looks unnatural with fast panning camera shots and looks shockingly poor compared to some of the other internet live streaming sports channels i have watched on competitors Sports IPTV services.

Miketurn
Scholar 3

@schnapps wrote:

If NowTV are going to offer a premium Full HD picture quality on the Sky Sports channels, let's also hope they increase the frame rate from 25fps to 50fps like what BBC iPlayer and BTSports offer, which is a much better viewing experience when watching sports.

To my eyes 25fps looks unnatural with fast panning camera shots and looks shockingly poor compared to some of the other internet live streaming sports channels i have watched on competitors Sports IPTV services.

Without my TV's ability to add 'fake frames' to Sky Sports, it would be unwatchable. And even with that turned up to max, it still looks poor compared with normal broadcast tv.

It will be interesting to see what happens, and what prices are like for full HD. And what about vouchers; will those be limited to 720p and will you have a choice to upgrade when applying them? Still many questions to be answered, but I'll say the new stick looks promising on the whole.

BTW, does this stick require any power, say from a usb port?

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Some great discussion here, I'll make sure this is fedback to the teams involved. 

@Miketurn - Just to answer your question the NOW TV Stick will require power from a USB port. 

Thanks,  

Karl

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Or a mains sub adaptor forget that. It has been answered multiple times before. I am just catching up in this topic..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you give pass now  I  paid for two months I am told I need pass to watch the programme 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. If you bought a stick with 2 months pass on the NOW TV website then you'll need to wait for it to arrive, a code for your 2 month pass will be inside the box.

manowarrior
Mentor

Will this be 50hz? 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Play Frozen", sorry I can't find Verizon
ken242
Expert

just got email about the NOW TV Stick a date as been confirmed when it launchs on the  26.2.18 https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/7077

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ken242 wrote:

just got email about the NOW TV Stick a date as been confirmed when it launchs on the  26.2.18 https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/7077

that is correct. I've had the same email as @ken242 by the looks of it. It doesn't appear that you can preorder it from the NowTV website, thoughSmiley Sad

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Thom77
Elite 2

Not had much time to digest all this news but it does sound very interesting.

I currently have Black Now TV boxes in my living room and bedroom, so I will certainly consider replacing one of these with the new Now TV Stick and see how they compare........ also, to date, I've never had any experience with voice search technology, so with my very rough common Scottish accent I can't wait for the hours of fun that will provide.

Certainly looking forward to the future Full HD coming to the service and if mixed with 50hz instead of 25hz to give that better experience with sports, I will be looking to become more regular with my sports passes.  I currently only run permanent entertainment pass as the picture quality when I do dip in with sports just isn't worth the money.  So you might get more money out of me for sports if the picture is better.

Like others I would guess the Full HD is going to be an extra cost, so will be interesting to see more on how that will work, particularly in respect to vouchers........ possibly entertainment, sport, cinema, kids vouchers as we currently have and sitting alongside them will be the SLIGHTLY more expensive Full HD versions???  or maybe all the vouchers will stay the same as they are and the only to get the newer Full HD offering will be to tick over with the full monthly cost (no voucher savings available)????

Anyway, it all seems like interesting news and I'm looking forward to how it all develops.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If anybody is interested, here's a photo showing the NowTV smart stick with the new remote controller showing all the buttons.

now-tv-streaming-smart-stick-4.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karl-F

Reading the official NowTV press article you posted on here it says that the new NowTV smart stick will start from £14.99 without any bundled passes, where on your website the new smart skick says from £19.99.

If you are going to offer customers to purchase the smart stick on it's own without any bundled passes via your website, wouldn't showing from £14.99 look more attractive / tempting to potential customers than £19.99 ?

Perhaps my sales market thinking is different to the way your sales marketing team think ?

http://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Karl-F

Reading the official NowTV press article you posted on here it says that the new NowTV smart stick will start from £14.99 without any bundled passes, where on your website the new smart skick says from £19.99.

If you are going to offer customers to purchase the smart stick on it's own without any bundled passes via your website, wouldn't showing from £14.99 look more attractive / tempting to potential customers than £19.99 ?

Perhaps my sales market thinking is different to the way your sales marketing team think ?

http://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

Hi @schnapps

I think what's being highlighted here is the great value the £19.99 bundle provides. 

At the bottom of that page you can click on a link that shows full pricing details. 

Thanks, 

Karl

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Karl-F

I don't think it's a fair comparison showing the new NowTV smart stick against the 4K Roku Stick Plus on the link on the bottom of that web page (where the Roku Stick Plus is overall a different animal and offers much more than the NowTV smart stick).

Maybe the Roku Express would be a fairer product comparison for pricing purposes to show customers how competitively priced your new smart stick is going to be sold for which is a bargain IMO.

I am not keen where companies show price comparison on different manufactures products / services where they never show the full advantages and disadvantages of their products against each other and never gives the full picture of which product is best or most suitable for the customer needs Smiley Mad

Just my two pennies worth on the matter.