cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 5 best movie theme songs of the 1980s

3 16 7,057

Before you read on, please note that time travel is real and you’re about to embark on a trip down memory lane back to the 1980s. 

Ah the 1980s… a time when shoulder pads were the height of fashion, mobile phones were the size of bricks and Michael Jackson’s Thriller was on everyone’s playlist… SHAMONE!

It was also a decade when movies were slickly produced, bold, glossy and blockbusting. What’s more, movie soundtracks were absolute belters.

So hold on tight as we take you back… back… back… [Screen goes all swirly]

5. Top Gun – Berlin (Take my breath away)  

Top-Gun.png

Whether Top Gun is a love story between Maverick & Goose, Maverick & Charlie or Maverick & Maverick, we’ll never really know, so let’s keep to what we do know for sure. Berlin’s theme song for the 1986 smash is totally brilliant.

It says a lot when the theme song of the military action drama is a breathless (yep, pun intended), ephemeral love song that pulls you in and doesn’t let go.

A chick flick disguised as a lad’s film, Top Gun has something for everyone and a song that will stick with you forever.

4. Beverly Hills Cop – Harold Faltermeyer (Axel-F)

Beverly-Hills.png

The minute you hear this song you’ll be doing the robot like it’s 1984 which, coincidentally, was the year that the first (of three) Beverly Hills Cop movies hit the big screen.

Arguably, Eddie Murphy’s finest cinema moment came playing Axel Foley, a funny rebellious loudmouth Detroit cop who travels to Beverly Hills to follow up an unsolved murder case.

Harold Faltermeyer’s classic synth-pop electro captured the essence of the time perfectly with its upbeat melody and juddering beat with a smooth German efficiency.

3. Rocky III – Survivor (Eye of the Tiger)

Rocky.PNG

What a track. If ever there was a soundtrack that encapsulated a movie, this is it.

Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger hits you straight in the solar plexus immediately, with a punchy intro that pummels you with uppercuts, knocking you senseless from the first bell.

The theme of 1982’s Rocky III, Tiger throws bigger bombs than the Mr T’s Clubber Laing as Sylvester Stallone’s archetypal hero struggles against all the odds (again).

Intense, dynamic and compelling… this song is a knockout.   

2. Flashdance – Irene Cara (What a feeling)

Flashdance.png

Aspirational, yearning and cathartic, Irene Cara’s vocals make you believe anything is possible.

To give it some context, What a Feeling sums up that moment on a Friday when you’ve got 15 minutes left to go at work and you’ve just been paid.

Just like leading lady Alex Owens (Jennifer Beals), it’s the kind of song that can inspire you to greater heights, whether it’s getting accepted into a prestigious dance conservatory (like Alex) or getting a round in down the local (you).

1. Back to the Future – Huey Lewis and the News (The Power of Love)

Michael-J.png

We couldn’t finish this list without one of the biggest movies of the 1980s. Directed by the great Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future came out at a time when 2015 was over some distant horizon where cars fly and skateboards hover.

Marty McFly and Doc Brown may have needed a flux capacitor to travel back in time, but you’ll be transported back to 1985 as soon as you hear Huey Lewis and the News’ memorable theme song

The Power of Love is catchy, upbeat and utterly timeless.

Why not take advantage of our 14-day free trial to watch all these great movies

Labels (3)
16 Comments
Legend 5
Legend 5

WOT NO GHOSTBUSTERS?!

https://youtu.be/Fe93CLbHjxQ

Legend 5
Legend 5

No footloose either?? 

Not seen the film but love the song Heart

Legend 5
Legend 5

Remember Flashdance, that was a good tune, shows my ageSmiley Happy

Legend 5
Legend 5

Also, what about 80's Disney? 😄 😄

Legend 5
Legend 5

One of my favourite films from the 80's which had some cracking songs from the movie was "The Lost Boys" the teen vampire movie. (I had the original music soundtrack on cassette which i used to play in my first car after passing my driving test). Smiley Happy

Still got the cassette somewhere in the house, need to dig it out for old time sake (saying that might be easier with better sound quality to stream it on Spotify). Smiley Very Happy

Legend 5
Legend 5

Disney again @caseyb1993 ? *sigh* and which one would it be this time? The Fox and the Hound? 😄

Can't do much better than "FLASH .... AHAHHHHHHHHH ....HE SAVED EVERYONE OF US"

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Sacrilege! If you're going to listen to top 80s tunes you have to listen to them with tape hiss or vinyl crackle! 😉

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy I could start shrieking "LET IT GO, LET IT GO" if you like 😉

Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 I wish you would let it go! 😄

Tron was an 80s Disney film so you can have that one if you like, but it didn't have a theme song so it's not allowed. What does that leave? My extensive knowledge of Disney movies doesn't go any further than that! ;(

0 Likes
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy The Little Mermaid was late 80's so I'll have that. 😉

"Part of your world" is that theme so perfect! 🙂

Legend 5
Legend 5

Gotta have a Bond theme on the list!

A View to a Kill - Duran Duran was a great theme song as well, know all the words to that and I can play air guitar!

image.png

Legend 5
Legend 5

Always remember when my parents bought their first VHS VCR (Ferguson Video Star top loader built like a Battle Ship).

One of the first movies that we watched on the VCR was "An Officer and a Gentlemen" with the theme track by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes "Up Where We Belong". Smiley Happy

@Andy just wondering how do you get the photo option tool on this message blog (i can only get the option to insert a video link only) ?

Ideally i wanted to add a picture of the good old Ferguson Video Star VCR (the younger generation are so lucky nowadays with their small streaming boxes). 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Alot of kids these days have never heard of VHS. They don't know what they missed. A time when no one cared about movies being in HD. 😞

It was annoying when the player chewed the tape. Smiley Frustrated

Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Yeah, looking back now the video quality of VHS (especially those pirate video nasties when me and my friends used to sneak off school to watch) were shocking. Smiley Very Happy

Back then mind they did look fantastic, when i bought my own video recorder i had to have the best quality and forked out extra for a JVC SVHS machine for the extra lines of resolution, then before DVD were on the market, the mug that i am i went out and bought a Phillips CDI player and only ever bought two movies for it "Top Gun" and "Black Rain" (back then i was a sucker for new gadgets) Smiley Wink

Nowadays i can't even watch Freeview SD, it's either got to be HD or nothing. Smiley Very Happy

Legend 5
Legend 5

I loved VHS, huge part of growing up. My favourite bit was adjusting the tracking, I was a master of the stable picture thanks to my super fine motor control, made me feel like a tech whiz. I loved rental stores as well, with all the rows and rows of video tape boxes with fabulous poster art on them that made every naff film look like an utter blockbuster. And all those long lost video nasty horrors half of which you can still haven't been released on DVD yet, if only I had all those on VHS *sigh* there's loads of classic horrors that I've never seen because they aren't around anymore except for some persons VHS collection in the attic!

PS @schnapps not sure why you can't upload images, I get the same toolbar I get on the rest of the forum. Currently on iPad at mo.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Of course when I was a kid the picture always looked amazing. Partly because the TV was only 24 inch and partly because I always watched the TV from 2 foot away like every kid does! Who needs 65" inch screens when you have a comfy cushion and the floor.

*wipes sticky fingers and shoves VHS tape into machine*

image.gif

Labels