cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

why is the sound so poor on iPad

Hi there,

The sound quality when watching programmes on an iPad is beyond terrible - almost unwatchable. It sounds very tinny - sometimes like it is underwater!

I have absolutely no problems when I watch the same programmes, with the same headphones, on my laptop, or via Apple TV. I  have no sound problems what so ever with programmes  via different apps, such as Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, etc.

It is the same issue with the SkyGo app too. Exactly the same sound issues.

I have seen threads relating to this issue dating back nearly 3 years, could you tell me whether this is something that is still being looked at/been resolved (and I am unaware of the 'fix')?

Many thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Very sorry to hear this. We're always looking to improve the customer experience on all our devices. Customers who have had these types of issues have had it resolved by deleting and then re-installing the app.

We are working on the sound on the iPad app. I can appreciate that this has been a long time but it's something we are always looking into.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear Ranj,

Thank you for your reply. I have deleted both the SkyGo and Now TV app, but unfortunately, this has not resolved the issue. The sound problems are still exactly the same.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I'll pass the information over to our technical team to get to the bottom of this.

Very sorry about that 😞

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd like to echo the sentiments by op. Im currently trialling now tv movies but find the sound thru headphones on the iPad app so poor that it will probably put me off becoming a paying customer.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also experiencing echoes On my way! iOS devices and am concerned that this appears to be a long term problem. Is there any sign of it being resolved?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been using NowTV on both an iPad and Amazon tablet - sound is terrible on both, echos all the time - pathetic really. Its now November and nothing has been done to improve it.

NowTV's tech support just keep saying to delete and reinstall the app - As I said - Pathetic

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is a copy of a complaint I raised to the MD of Sky: still no response from NOW TV Help or Sky....

Dear Jeremy,

I’d like to express to you my dissatisfaction with the handling of my ongoing complaint regarding the sound quality of NOW TV content when viewing with an iOS (Apple iPhone or iPad) device.

To reflect how badly my complaint has been handled so far, here's a brief timeline of events:

26/10 – I complained about the sound quality of video content on my iPad through NOW TV Help web chat. The agent recommended deleting and re-installing the app (which I did and commented to him that it made no difference). He said he’d logged the issue and that someone will be in touch.

27/10 – Email received from NOW TV Help to apologise that I was having difficulties with my device limit and that he’s reset my registered devices – so completely unrelated to my complaint.

I responded on the same day to explain there is some confusion and that my complaint relates to the sound quality of the iPad.

31/10 – I didn’t get a response so I chased you by email again.

08/11 – STILL no response from NOW TV Help, so I chased up what was going on via web chat. The agent explained there was some confusion and that someone will be in touch about my iPad sound issue.

09/11 – Email received from NOW TV Help, with some suggestions to resolve the issue. By this time I had visited your forum and found that other customers have complained about the same problem (low quality, tinny compressed sound when viewing from iPad), and that it has been acknowledged by a NOW TV representative in response, so I was conscious that the issue is likely on your side, not the client side.

Anyway, I tried all of the agent’s recommendations – even though they were irrelevant, but as expected it didn’t fix the poor quality sound. I responded on the same day explaining that I’ve tried all the suggestions and they haven’t worked.

15/11 – Received a holding message from NOW TV Help to say you’re looking into the issue and will be in touch soon.

23/11 – Received an email titled “We haven’t heard from you” – saying we hope we got your email “the other day” and you haven’t from me. Since the message on the 15/11, I received no such email.

I responded saying that I haven’t received anything and I’m waiting to hear from you.

24/11 – Email received from NOW TV Help saying you’re still looking into the problem and that I’ll have an update by the end of the day. It also said my broadband speed is showing as 1.3mbps.

- I immediately responded to say I’m with Sky Broadband and that my speed is a consistent 17mbps and that I’ll send screenshots from tests to prove this when home.

- NOW TV Help responded with a link to improving broadband speed and that it’s “not overall broadband speed but speed to a specific port”.

- I have just responded to say the control of speed going to specific internet ports is controlled by my ISP, Sky Broadband, and that I highly doubted they would restrict speeds to NOW TV, given that NOW TV is owned by Sky.

- Your agent didn’t give me an update today as promised.

As a result of the confusion and technical incompetency amongst the NOW TV customer service team, my complaint has been ongoing for nearly a month, which is shocking.

I have reiterated several times that my broadband and iOS devices are clearly not the problem:

- The issue is not repeated when viewing NOW TV on my PC or when using Apple TV

- The issue is present when using the NOW TV app on both my iPad and iPhone

- Other customers have complained about it in your forums, and one thread shows a NOW TV representative acknowledging the issue (see

- NetFlix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, All 4 and other services don’t have this issue on iOS devices.7

- I have tried all of the recommendations provided by your NOW TV Help, none of which have worked.

I’d like for you to acknowledge the fact that the issue with poor quality in iOS devices is due to configuration on your side, and I’d like to know what you are going to do to fix it.

As a customer I have been treated very badly throughout this ordeal, and I strongly suggest you review your complaint handling procedure so that other customers don’t have to suffer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

A very disgruntled NOW TV customer
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Did your problem get resolved? Im having the same issue with my Lenovo tablet and had to turn off what I was watching as it was so bad!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the issue talked about in this topic is specific to the stream used on iPhones and iPads, so it won't affect your Lenovo tablet.

You're best off starting a new topic in the Windows board, and the team will be able to help.

Thanks,

Tom