cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"This device has been modified...", but not rooted

Just started my trial and the app doesn't work with my MXQ box.

It isn't rooted, so the "how to unroot" guide doesn't work (when i open supersu it tells me there is no su binary installed and i need to root my device to make it work.)

Do i have to buy nowtv hardware to make this work?

Netflix and BBC iplayer work fine.

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just started my trial and the app doesn't work with my MXQ box.

It isn't rooted, so the "how to unroot" guide doesn't work (when i open supersu it tells me there is no su binary installed and i need to root my device to make it work.)

Do i have to buy nowtv hardware to make this work?

Netflix and BBC iplayer work fine.

Hi @Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Sometimes android devices are rooted by their manafacturers to add extra features, it seems like your device's manafacturer has done this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've run a root checker, it doesn't have su and it doesn't have busybox.

What else does the app fail on.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

The MXQ box is an unofficial device, there's various reasons why it might not work - often android boxes use a modified version of Android, the devices are often imported, it may not be HDCP compliant among other things.

Sadly we cannot guarantee this box is compatible with NOW TV.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remembered to cancel the trial just in time, never got to use the service.

Disappointing that nowtv is the only streaming app that doesn't work with my mxq boxes, netflix, bbc iplayer, amazon, the ch4 stuff all work fine.

Don't feel like buying extra hardware just to access one service, at least being able to see the film selection has given me some ideas of stuff to get hold of.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It was suggested that I use the Mac Xperia Companion and do a repair which I did and it has removed all the offending su and sudaemon type of executables from the device and NowTV is happy again. This rather begs the question how did they get there in the first place?! Also why didn't doing a complete recover on the device itself wipe these files unless the image on the device was already compromised and Xperia Companion installed an uncompromised image.  Any how I'm happy now!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Keeps telling me the device has been modified which is absolute "...." The device is brand new and not rooted - Sony Z4! Who writes the software for NOWTV - if I was News Corp I would be demanding my money back!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been having the same problems on a new and standard Samsung s7 (unrooted). I did notice that the play store had automatically downloaded an app called SuperSU that I used on a previous device that was rooted. I uninstalled Now TV, uninstalled SuperSU, then reinstalled NowTV... And Hey presto it's all working fine now. Hope this helps someone 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been having the same problems on a new and standard Samsung s7 (unrooted). I did notice that the play store had automatically downloaded an app called SuperSU that I used on a previous device that was rooted. I uninstalled Now TV, uninstalled SuperSU, then reinstalled NowTV... And Hey presto it's all working fine now. Hope this helps someone 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Perfect, thanks!