cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

iPad Pro 11'' NOW TV App Not Using Full Screen

Hi,

The Now TV app for the iPad Pro 11'' 2018 is not using the whole screen, with vertical black bars on the left and right of the user interface. 

Will this be fixed in a future software update and how long until this happens?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't think there is anything to fix. I imagine the black bars are due to the aspect ratio of the ipads's screen. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not true, other streaming services and the inbuilt media services display videos in their native aspect ratio using the full width of the screen. Now TV appears to letterbox the video.

I'd also like to see an update for newer devices alongside the removal of the persistent white bar at the bottom of screen for the new iPad pros. It should fade to black when content plays.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think the point being made is that iPads are pretty much 4:3 aspect ratio, where as most tv shows and movies tend to come in 16:9 ratio. You might be able to ZOOM on those services, essentially making the screen pan and scan for all intents and purposes but surely that’s about it? 

For example, in comparison my old Samsung galaxy tab A10.1 will fill most movies and shows full screen because it had a native aspect ratio suited to tv viewing. (Something I REALLY wish Apple would release in iPad form!) 

Or are we talking about the app itself, not going full screen in menu’s etc?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is letterboxed on the left and right and top and bottom.  This means that it does not fill it in either side.  It is an issue, and does need to be fixed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv still dont support the ipad pro.  just spent £200 on a f1 season pass, please update the app to make use of the full screen size on the new ipad pros.!!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree, the white bar is hidden on other streaming apps like Netflix. Always feels like Now TV is one step behind.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the 12.9 inch new iPad Pro. What’s happening is the new iPads have rounded corners and apps that have not been updated are not optimised for this so they shrink the the screen and the corners are still square. Therefore we don’t get the full screen that the older iPad pros have. I’m hoping now tv put an update out soon as it’s nealry April. The iPads have been out now nearly 5 months. Netflix and amazon video have updated their apps to fit the screen and it looks so much better.