cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

iOS application improvement: manage short term wifi disconnects

I'm using the latest version of the app on my iPhone with latest iOS version; I switched on the option to allow streaming on wifi only in order to avoid exhausting my 3G allowance.

The nowtv app repeatedly shows a very annoying behavior: the streaming stops and a popup error message tells me that wifi is not available. However the wifi connection is still shown as available on the iPhone status line and the streaming continues if I restart it manually. What I suspect it's happening is that the phone has a short term interruption of the wifi connection that restores itself immediately but not before the app notices the interruption and breaks the streaming. I noticed this firsts at home with my BT home hub, but it also happens when connecting to other routers.

What I would expect to happen is for the nowtv app to be smart at dealing with these wifi micro-interruptions, possibly take advantage of buffering and keep streaming or freezing the stream for a short while before prompting the error message.
With the current behavior it's very annoying having to restart the stream, especially because since the last app updates the app often fails to memorize at which point the stream was interrupted and I have to manually seek the right spot in the stream for resuming the viewing.

Is this something the app developers could have a look and improve the app? I'm also heavy user of the BBC iPlayer and the Amazon video app and no such a problem ever happens with them.

Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Despite a strong Wifi signal, and perfect streaming from other services (Iplayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Play), my NowTV app continuously drops out of playback and errors with a 'Wifi network iunavailable' error.,

I have an iPhone 6s, and IOS 9.2.1 installed.

This has always happened, and also happens even when sitting right under the wifi router.

As I said, no other service on the same device has the same issue.

I have even tried a different wifi router and I get the same issue.

I dont get drop outs when playing through my Roku , just with the iOS version.

I have turned off mobile data streaming, so it only has Wifi.

The signal meter never drops off - always at least 3-4 bars.

Anyone else experience this?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hello 🙂

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app as that can help.

Have you tried doing a general reset or even a factory reset on your iPhone? 

You can also live chat the team for more help:

http://help.nowtv.com/article/None-of-the-above

Scroll to the bottom and click the blue contact us button. On the next page, click on live chat. Smiley Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi,

Reinstalled the app a few times.

Does it on iPad too, so nothing to do with the phone.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Have the same problem with both my iPhone 6 and my wife iPhone 5c (so it's not a device issue) both at home and elsewhere (so it's not a wifi router issue).

I suspect the nowtv app is just too quick to react a short-term wifi disconnections while other streaming apps are aware of the issue and manage the event better, avoiding causing trouble to the viewer.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I have replied to your other post.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I have replied to your other post.

Thanks

Andy

I have the same issue, what's the solution please?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I have moved your post into the same thread as other users reporting this.

Our teams are investigating the issue and as soon as I have an update will let you all know.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have chased our teams again today for an update to this issue.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks very much for your feedback, I will pass this on for you.

When you say that your using the latest version of iOS is this the iOS 10 Beta ? Or still iOS 9 ?

Reason i'm asking is that we don't support iOS 10 at the moment.

If you could let us know.

Thanks

Andy