cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will there be a native for Sony Android TV?

Hello,

I'm using the casting function to my Sony Android TV. Will there be a fully fledged app for it?

Thanks.
Ashley

135 REPLIES 135
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not likely to happen for the same reasons stated in the nvidia shield thread, hdcp is easy to turn off in android.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can get an app on the X-box so why not google tv? There has to be some business to business issue here
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

The Xbox's run on a 'windows' based operating system (OS). Which when it comes to playing copyrighted media is more secure than any of the Android OS's...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For some reason i can no longer cast now tv to my sony tv (i believe this might be something to do with my BT Hub and im not buying another one) so i will have to cancel my Now tv subs. We need the Now tv app!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently purchased the Sony KD438077 model (Android TV).

No native app as previously discussed - however I figured I could use the chromecast feature.

I'll be pleased if there is a native app due to the problem below.

This feature was working.  After about 24 hours this stopped.  [Any NowTV cast doesn't load the NowTV splash screen and I get a 'chromecast tv receiver has stopped working' error.]

All other Cast apps are ok (e.g. TalkTalk; iPlayer, Screen mirror).

I was able to determine that the chromecast receiver app on the Sony TV had been updated (auto updates).

Taking the app from the factory version 1.20.?? to 1.23.??   (The TV is currently on Android TV 6.0.1?)

If I uninstalled the updates, in the apps section of the TV, the NowTV cast would work again. [Until the next auto update]

My other external google chromecast devices (v1 and v2) are working ok.

[This is with the 'latest NowTV app' ]

So

1) a Native App would be great

2) Anyone know of a better fix

3) and who might be resolving this (Sony or Sky!)

(I'll add this to a couple of messages in the hope of some information)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently purchased the Sony KD438077 model (Android TV).

No native app as previously discussed - however I figured I could use the chromecast feature.

I'll be pleased if there is a native app due to the problem below.

This feature was working.  After about 24 hours this stopped.  [Any NowTV cast doesn't load the NowTV splash screen and I get a 'chromecast tv receiver has stopped working' error.]

All other Cast apps are ok (e.g. TalkTalk; iPlayer, Screen mirror).

I was able to determine that the chromecast receiver app on the Sony TV had been updated (auto updates).

Taking the app from the factory version 1.20.?? to 1.23.??   (The TV is currently on Android TV 6.0.1?)

If I uninstalled the updates, in the apps section of the TV, the NowTV cast would work again. [Until the next auto update]

My other external google chromecast devices (v1 and v2) are working ok.

[This is with the 'latest NowTV app' ]

So

1) a Native App would be great

2) Anyone know of a better fix

3) and who might be resolving this (Sony or Sky!)

(I'll add this to a couple of messages in the hope of some information)

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Sorry for any trouble you've encountered when trying to cast to your Android TV.

Just an update to let you know that we have worked with Google and they have released a new software update (v1.24) which fixes the problem.

Can you make sure your Android TV device has this latest update and try again?

If you are still encountering this issue please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Karl 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I believe the android chromecast receiver app on the TV has been updated to
v1.24.?? - and since then NowTV has been working. So yes it appears to be
sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm about to switch back to Android TV from the Roku 2 due to Plex live TV support for OTA channels. Does Now TV support Android TV yet or should I just cancel my subscription?
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

In short no...

Perhaps the following 'Help Centre' article may be of use to you: What devices can I use to watch NOW TV?

Cheers