cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will the NOW TV Android app work on an Android TV box?

Does anyone know if the NOW TV Android app will work on an Android TV box? I believe that the app does some checks for custom ROMs and rooted devices so it is not a given that it'll work on any Android device.

Has anyone tried this and if so then what make/model of Android TV box do you have it running on?

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately no, at the moment NowTV doesn't officially support Android TV boxs.

Edit - Unless somebody here has found a workaround that is stable on the mobile NowTV Android app (might be wrong i think a few people have tried, but the mobile version doesn't play nicely with the Android TV boxes). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps, thanks for the quick reply. That is NOW TVs official take on it but I know for instance that there is a Android TV box sold that has the app pre-loaded, so it must be possible in some cases. Unfortunately the one I refer to is quite expensive, so was trying to ascertain if anyone has successfully managed to run it on any other Android TV device.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Are you talking about the Nvidia Shield ?

If so there is a thread somewhere on this forum discussing this device with the Android NowTV app.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Android/Is-NowTV-available-as-a-download-for-Nvidia-Shield-Set-Top-Box/m-p/380871#U380871

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps, the XUUM Quad Core is advertised on a internet site as having it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

As you are aware (at the moment) NowTV does not officially support these Android TV set top boxes and like you said maybe somebody can provide you a workaround or perhaps somebody who own this XUUM box can advise you that the NowTV app on this box works (i will be surprised if it does mind).

Personally, i would spend £15 on a NowTV black box and maybe use this Android TV box for all the other Android apps that this box supports.

Sorry i couldn't help any further, perhaps somebody who are more familiar / knowledgeable with these Android TV boxes can provide you more guidance/ assistance.