cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles not working when casting

The subtitles on Big Little Lies appear left aligned and off the screen when I cast the episode to my TV with Chromecast.  It was working fine two weeks ago.

Also I have noticed this happens on the latest episodes on other TV Shows too.

Is anyone else having the same issue? It is really annoying and unprofessional as I am paying for this service. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just started a month's free trial and started watching Chernobyl.  On Chromecast the subtitles appear to be positioned beyond the left of the screen so only some of the words are visible.  And they are out of time with the dialogue.

Subtitles are a necessity for me so looks like I won't be renewing then.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

An inexpensive (£14.99) NowTV Stick would be your friend here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi RoyB

I disagree, but thanks anyway.  Chromecast works really well with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, ITV Player and not to mention other players I've ever tried.  Subtitles never a problem.

I'll let the month's free trial pass and cancel.  Subtitles are a god send for when the kids are in bed so the volume can be lowered without the entertainment being diminished.

Besides, they'll probably fix it at some point at which point I'll evaluate if it's worth having.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Sure, no problem.

A little tip: if you are going to Cancel, cancel now. You’ll still get your month (Cancel means “don’t renew”, not “stop now”) and if you leave it until the last minute, you may find that NowTV have already started the payment cycle, and you will get billed another month.

Cancelling now avoids this.

After cancelling, though, make sure My Account/Passes & vouchers shows the Pass as not renewing, and repeat the Cancel if it still shows it as renewing, after an hour or so has gone by.

There are about four steps to cancelling; miss one and you fall back down the rabbit hole, instead of seeing daylight.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi again RoyB

Ha ha.  This isn't my first time with NowTV and yeah I've been fine cancelling before.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've found a solution, don't pay for a service that doesn't work and pay one that does work. It's madness that users have complained for months about this and it's still an issue. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lol

Got emailed about the February Flash Sale.  £1 for 2 months of an Entertainment Pass.  Thought the issue couldn't still possibly be outstanding.

Lol

It is.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles are an absolute disgrace when casting to Chromecast.

When watching Game of Thrones I was seeing the subtitles in big letters to the left of the screen. But even worse some multiline subtitles are being displayed as one with the first line overwriting the first...

Thus 'This is a sample of how crap NowTv is'

Is displayed as 'This is a samplewTv is'

Instead of as two lines :

This is a sample

of how crap NowTv is

The problem with subtitles on Chromecast was reported summer last year and still nothing done by NowTV. Take a look at subtitles on Netflix and Amazon Prime and it is like night and day when compared to NowTV.

Until this issue is fixed I will be taking my hard earned money elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's actually ridiculous.
I've sent them a tweet (literally haven't used Twitter in about 6 years).
A simple subtitle like 'F***k!' is now 'ck!' on the far left.