cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Playback codec decoding error

Hi, trying to watch live TV on Lenovo tablet but after about 5 minutes it will stop and error for playback codec decoder will appear, have deleted and reinstalled app but still get same message.

Can anyone help??

Thx

46 REPLIES 46
RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

The MX involvement was clearly a byproduct, just bringing with it suitable codec(s) for the NowTV app to find.

But perhaps you think that the NowTV app, when installed on an unsupported device, should dynamically hunt out and load those codecs missing from the unsupported device, codecs that it would expect to find on a supported device? And then what else might it have to do? Where do you draw the line?

I think it is very nice of the NowTV programmers to maintain the distinction between Not Supported (absolutely won’t run 👎) and Unsupported  (might run, but don’t come crying to us if it doesn’t 🤞) at all 😇

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV obviously doesn't have to do anything if its app doesn't work on a particular device/manufacturer - but it would be nice if it actually did at least acknowledge the issue and perhaps seek to try and find a fix.

That could be reaching out to OnePlus (every manufacturer has a point of contact for developers, as OnePlus and others don't want apps not working as it could hurt their sales) or working with those affected to help find a solution or workaround.

Given the stagnation of app development by Sky, I assume they're just woefully underfunded to do this.

It's just as mad that Now TV isn't available to install on all Android TV televisions and boxes, as Now TV relies on income through subscriptions - and as such you want to be on each and every platform.

I get there are security concerns, but everyone else seems to manage. Again, it points to a lack of resources and accepting that it might one day be necessary to start from the ground up.

In the grand scheme of things, maybe this playback error isn't considered a big deal because perhaps a lot of OnePlus customers aren't Now TV subscribers. Maybe some signed up, saw it didn't work, and cancelled their sub and Now TV is none the wiser. I obviously don't know, and it seems like Now TV doesn't know either and given the lack of involvement on such threads (preferring to allow forum ambassadors to represent the company) I guess they don't really care.

Hey, that's up to them.. but if I wanted to try and maximise revenue, I sure as hell would be working hard to make an app that works properly on everything. If that means including a decoder in the app itself, so be it.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User said:-

Now TV obviously doesn't have to do anything if its app doesn't work on a particular device/manufacturer - but it would be nice if it actually did at least acknowledge the issue and perhaps seek to try and find a fix.

But they have:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/install-now-tv-app-on-android-smartphone-tablet

with special help for Huawei devices, and for OnePlus 8 and 8T phones.

But nothing special needed, apparently, for the hundreds and hundreds of other Android phone makes and models out there.

And look what the fix is - disable Vibrant Colour.

Which says to me that OnePlus have broken their own compatibility with the intended codec; so NowTV could bloat their download with codec after codec, most of them unnecessary, and it wouldn’t do a blind bit of good.

A company like NowTV will think long and hard before trying to program round device maker’s mistakes; Apple maybe, though even that can be problematic.

But telling users how to work around the issues with OnePlus phones still maximises NowTV’s revenues, and minimises their costs - just as important in their way - all while putting the ball firmly in OnePlus’ court to get their house in order.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I stand corrected, and about time. This problem has existed for so long, I am sure many people have long given up. Some may have changed phone, others have ditched their sub.

Now to get the app on more platforms.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd be interested to know how long their site has had this info on, I certainly didn't stumble across it when having issues 2 months ago.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Roy

First, you replied to a post that I wrote exactly one month ago, which I was mainly expressing surprise that hunting for codec's in 2020 was still a thing.

Next, your second paragraph bears no relation to my post whatsoever, I do not know how you could derive such an answer to something I did not write or imply.

And your final paragraph makes me think that you weren't replying to my post at all but to someone else and somehow you just threw my name in there.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

Yup, hadn’t come across your post before, just saw it there. But I didn’t think there was a statute of limitations on replies, at least not to your observations that ring as true today as they did a month ago.

I did extrapolate, perhaps, in my second paragraph to what I thought  today’s programmers might have to do to meet your strictures on them; but perhaps you had something much smarter in mind that my febrile (and feeble) imagination could conjure up?

And yes, I guess the third paragraph was more for the world in general (what’s the HTML for closing off an @?)

But yes, even today, hunting for codecs is still a thing, though for Windows, K-Lite have put together an easily accessible series of 4 codec packs, of increasing comprehensiveness and size, that should contain everything anyone could need; and indeed, I have suggested on the Community that those having trouble with the NowTV Windows players might profit by downloading them. (Which may or may not be true, but I have them, and I have never had a moment’s trouble with the Windows players). So....

Cordially

Roy

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Roy

No, there is no limitation on when you can reply to a post but going back that time span to something written in such general terms is somewhat unnecessary.  If a user is looking for an answer to a problem then looking back as far as they can is a must but, for a fast moving forum, looking back to comment on a general topic is "pushing the boat out".

As for answering your own imaginative questions, let the music play on but maybe you should write those as stand alone  comments rather than replies, simply because it's confusing.

And finally, if hunting for codec's is still a thing in 2020 then so be it, I do not envy anyone that has to perform this task but for myself, and my simple way of using my computer system, hunting for software packs to make other applications work is a thing I no longer do nor would I expect any but a very small minority to take up this activity.

And again, there are no hidden meanings behind this post or complicated machinations, it's just simply is what it is.

Later

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I seem to be getting the same error. What exactly in MX player did you tick, I've tried to tick everything and still get the error.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
The fix doesn't work for me since the latest operating system update.