cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV will not stream from Huawei P20 Pro to JVC Smart TV with USB-C to HDMI Cable

Hi,

I bought Now TV mostly for films and GoT.

Today I tried to stream a film from my Huawei mobile to the TV with the USB-C to HDMI cable.

Unfortunately, it showed a message that Now TV does not support such a stream.

I can stream all my other video players through the TV this way, why not Now TV?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I went to Curry’s, where they have the packs available for £19.99, with either two month’s Entertainment, or one month’s Movies. I made sure I got the Entertainment one.

When you install the Stick, you give it your account details, and then the two month’s Pass goes and lives at the top of My Account/Passes & Vouchers. You can Redeem it there as long as you have less than one month left on your current Pass, and then it will cover the following two months for you.

There are a wealth of other services besides NowTV on these Sticks - all the major broadcasters’ Players, Netflix, and more. But not alas Amazon Prime; I have an Amazon Firestick in the next HDMI slot along for that 😁

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

A good question, but NowTV have decided this is a no-no.

Have you tried casting it instead?

Failing that, a NowTV Stick, with a two months Entertainment Pass is £19.99, so as little as £4.01 for the Stick itself.

Well worth it for the peace of mind, I’d have thought, and it leaves your phone free to do phone things with.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the post @RoyB.

The real problem I am having is that my laptop, Lenovo Yoga 520, will not play sound on the HDMI link. It worked OK with my Dads old AMD Lenovo. So I was hoping that my phone would work instead.

Where can I get this offer of 2 months free Entertainment Pass. I am already signed up for this Pass. Would I still get the 2 free months?

Also, does the NowTV Stick allow you to use other streaming services, like Amazon Prime Video, etc.?

Thanks again.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I went to Curry’s, where they have the packs available for £19.99, with either two month’s Entertainment, or one month’s Movies. I made sure I got the Entertainment one.

When you install the Stick, you give it your account details, and then the two month’s Pass goes and lives at the top of My Account/Passes & Vouchers. You can Redeem it there as long as you have less than one month left on your current Pass, and then it will cover the following two months for you.

There are a wealth of other services besides NowTV on these Sticks - all the major broadcasters’ Players, Netflix, and more. But not alas Amazon Prime; I have an Amazon Firestick in the next HDMI slot along for that 😁

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks @RoyB ,

Looks like the only stick that does all the ones I want (Prime, NowTV) is the Roku Streaming Stick + at about £45.00. The Fire stick is about £40.00. As you said, Now TV Stick doesn't do Prime and Fire Stick doesn't do Now TV!

Thanks for the help.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What about a Roku Express which are £25 at Currys.

It's not a stick, but a miniature streaming box which needs line of sight, where the remote works over infra red.

I have both the Roku Express and the NowTV stick and if you are not interested in the voice search on the NowTV stick remote or the TV standby & volume control buttons, then IMO the Roku Express is the device to go for (unfortunately there is no bundled NowTV voucher with the Roku Express).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

This Roku Express looks good. 

It boasts voice control on the phone app. Does that work OK?

One drawback is that you can't connect a network cable, only WiFi.

And on Amazon it says that it does "Now TV" and "Prime Video" apps!

RoyB
Legend

LMGTFY:-

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-express

Smiley Tongue

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Roku Express has the same Apps (Channels) has the Roku Stick Plus where it's hardware is 1080p instead of 4K HDR when compared to the Stick Plus.

Though NowTV only currently streams at 720p and may get a bump to 1080p this year.

The Express has NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video, plus many more Apps.

This link below will give you a good idea of what Apps are available on Roku UK players.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/whats-on

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi again @schnapps,

How long are the cables?

I need a fair old length to get a good WiFi signal.

Maybe a couple of meters?

Also, does it need the batteries and the power cable, or just one?

Thanks.