cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app now BLOCKED on Kindle Fire HD

Until about a week ago I was able to watch Now TV on my Kindle Fire HD because I'd installed the Google Play Store and installed the standard Android app (no rooting or breaking of terms required).

I was forced to use an old version of the Now TV app because the latest version actively prevents it running on a Kindle device. This old version has now ceased to function, so I can no longer use my Kindle.

This is frankly pathetic. The Kindle is an Android tablet and Now TV has gone to the additional effort to make sure it's app will not function when installed.

I bought the Kindle Fire because it's a reasonably priced, high spec Android tablet. It allows me to use ALL the other streaming media services: iPlayer, All4, UKTV, ITV Hub and Netflix. But due to some perceived conflict of interest, it now refuses to let me use one of the services I'm paying for.

Can somebody from Now TV please explain the reasoning behind behind this?

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well that is just a lie.  Now TV do not allow it.  Not the other way around.  Get your story straight.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User thanks for confirmation this Amazon issue.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will +1 this concern.  Now TV is an application.  It is not a device.  The Now TV box is a rebranded Roku box.  So Now TV can run wherever they choose.  That Now TV decided to not cooperate with Amazon is really a Now TV issue.  Sky and Now TV are small players in streaming content and should take all necessary steps to be on all devices.  

It is a very poor experience to have a company like Now TV force customers to have multiple devices to view all available content because they hope you will buy their device.  The more attractive alternative is to not use Now TV at all.    Now TV is not on my Samsung Smart TV, Now TV is not my Fire TV, it is on my Apple TV but that is the absolute worst user interface.

Now TV should step into 2017 and let their app be free of devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV is both a device, and primarily a service.

As has been pointed out, just because users have been able to run an NowTV app on an Amazon device does not mean either NowTV, nor Amazon intended that to be the case.

I have to concede the streaming device market is pretty annoying in that few devices will run all apps; Amazon won’t run NowTV, NowTV won’t run Netflix, and until recently AppleTV would not run Amazon Prime. And I don’t think any device outside of the Apple ecosystem has access to iTunes, which might get interesting if they ever do launch a Netflix style competitor.

We all know this is down to competition, and to a small degree rights management.

For the foreseeable future the major players are going to try to put their chess pieces on the board to increase the chances of you subscribing to their monthly service, which is where the money is - not in hardware sales.

Probably the best chance of having one device that accesses the most services is a Roku, but as Sky are a majority shareholder they will quickly move towards NowTV if their sales fall.

I find my XBox does a decent job of accessing a lot of the streaming services, but it’s a pricey and clunky option.

Keep hasstling NowTV and Amazon, but as has been intimated I suspect some “behind closed doors” decisions have been made to not put each other’s apps on competing, cost subsidised, hardware.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV & Sky living in the dark ages. 

Stopping the convenience of streaming from iPad/Device to fire shows they just don’t get the move of the younger generation and now us older generation for convenience!

NowTV is a great move for Sky but now they need to remove all the restrictions they put in to make it a real player. 

For now I’m going to ditch it like I did Sky. Pitty

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a work around:

• ensure Now TV app and Chrome browser are installed on Amazon fire tablet via the Google playstore
  • Using the Chrome browser log into your Now TV account and then click on the "Start watching" at the top right hand corner
  • an "Open with" option tray pops up
  • Select Now TV and choose Always
  • Voila.. you are in Man Happy
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Richie

Good catch, but you know that it's only short term because either Now TV or Amazon will eventually block/delete this work-around.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Am I correct in saying this only affects the Amazon Fire HD currently? I'm wondering if it still works on the cheap 7 inch (non HD) Tablets they're flogging. Tempted.

From NowTV website; not supported if..
"it’s a Kindle Fire HD device (not supported)."

PS. Liking the web browser work around!
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it will work on some. It depends on whether the device appears to be rooted, even if it is not. Some manufacturers make it so it appears that the device is.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well I was given a Now Tv stick with the entertainment package for Christmas was pleased but as I can't watch on my kindle defeats the whole idea so they have shot themselves in the foot because I will not be paying when this contract ends and will make sure I tell as many people as possible not to bother. I've always disliked sky and it's business practices but this takes them to a new level of shxt