cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app now BLOCKED on Kindle Fire HD

Until about a week ago I was able to watch Now TV on my Kindle Fire HD because I'd installed the Google Play Store and installed the standard Android app (no rooting or breaking of terms required).

I was forced to use an old version of the Now TV app because the latest version actively prevents it running on a Kindle device. This old version has now ceased to function, so I can no longer use my Kindle.

This is frankly pathetic. The Kindle is an Android tablet and Now TV has gone to the additional effort to make sure it's app will not function when installed.

I bought the Kindle Fire because it's a reasonably priced, high spec Android tablet. It allows me to use ALL the other streaming media services: iPlayer, All4, UKTV, ITV Hub and Netflix. But due to some perceived conflict of interest, it now refuses to let me use one of the services I'm paying for.

Can somebody from Now TV please explain the reasoning behind behind this?

22 REPLIES 22
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User if the Android is not working on your Kindle it is probably due to an Amazon update. They permit those other apps without needing full Android.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

According to the following 'Help Centre' article: What devices can I use to watch NOW TV?, the Amazon Kindle Fire HD devices are not officially supported for use by NOW TV.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, but my point is that it's not acceptable. They claim it's "not supported" but the only reason it doesn't work is that they go to EXTRA EFFORT to ensure it doesn't work.

They have deliberately disabled the Now TV app on Kindle Fire HD devices, as it was working fine until a recent update.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I would suggest you ask Amazon why they don't supply full Android on their Fire devices and complain to them.!
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @4268 @SeeMoreDigital

Hi MB

First, there is no answer to your problem, certainly none that you are going to like, and secondly I believe that Sky/NowTV have made some unpublished policy decisions to ensure their apps and devices only run and play within certain narrowly defined parameters.  And as you can imagine, your  Amazon Fire device is outside of those parameters.

Finally, as I believe the decisions made are unpublished then you will not get a an official reply to your query.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 It's not Amazon that's at fault here! It's not Amazon that have deliberately crippled the Now TV app. Like I say, all other media streaming apps work on the Kidle Fire... they are even available in the official Amazon App store. As you may be aware, Android is an open source platform, so the fact that Amazon has put it's own launcher on it, doesn't mean it's not "full Android".

I guess I'm not really expecting a solution from these forums. I've contacted Now TV/Sky about it, hoping to get an explanation as to why it's being so pathetic. Maybe if enough people complain, it'll change it's rediculous policy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@4268 It's not Amazon that's at fault here! It's not Amazon that have deliberately crippled the Now TV app. Like I say, all other media streaming apps work on the Kidle Fire... they are even available in the official Amazon App store. As you may be aware, Android is an open source platform, so the fact that Amazon has put it's own launcher on it, doesn't mean it's not "full Android".

I guess I'm not really expecting a solution from these forums. I've contacted Now TV/Sky about it, hoping to get an explanation as to why it's being so pathetic. Maybe if enough people complain, it'll change it's rediculous policy.

@Anonymous User

Hi there, we do apologise for the inconvenince, Kindle Fire is not part of our supported devices due to the software amazon uses, as Amazon has its own streaming service Amazon prime, it does not allow us to use nowtv on its devices. 

Thanks the Nowtv team. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I'm afraid something smells a bit fishy. The Kindle Fire runs Android, and until a recent update to the Now TV app, it worked fine: so there's no technical reason why it doesn't work (other than Now TV deliberately crippling it).

As for Amazon having its own streaming service: that's true, but it still offers the Sky Go, Netflix, All4, ITV Hub and UK TV apps in its own App Store, so it's not exactly adverse to hosting apps from competitors. Say what you like, but the only reason the Kindle isn't supported is because Now TV doesn't want to.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User I'm afraid something smells a bit fishy. The Kindle Fire runs Android, and until a recent update to the Now TV app, it worked fine: so there's no technical reason why it doesn't work (other than Now TV deliberately crippling it).

With respect @Anonymous User there's nothing 'fishy' about it at all.

The Amazon Kindle devices are not officially supported by NOW TV. They never have been. Regardless of whether you (or anybody else) has found a way of installing the NOW TV app!