cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV / Apple stitch up

Ipad air less than 6 years old and working fine.

Now try to watch and asks to upgrade app, try to upgrade app, but then says need iOS 13 which is not possible without buying a new Ipad.

On the Now TV website says should be able to use the old app (Like the one I was just using, but that is not possible) and Apple Store only has the new version which requires iOS 13.

No notice and seems the only way to get around this is to buy a new IPAD.

This is commercial manipulation of apple device sales by making them useless for the applications they were bought for and completely against all the move's to extend device lives.  

Is there anyway around this or to force apple to put back up an app in their store that works with iOS 11 and 12 ?

NOW TV Website Quote below :
iOS 11 & 12 are no longer supported

The NOW app no longer supports iOS 11 or 12. If your iOS device is running on 11 or 12, you'll still be able to watch for as long as the app works for you, but you won't receive any updates like new features and bug fixes.

If your device supports later iOS versions, we recommend you update to 13 or later.

4 REPLIES 4
AlexB83
Scholar 2

It's up to Now who their apps support, developers won't support IOS versions forever and if you look at other streaming services they are all much of a muchness in how long they support a version 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought a years service from Now TV. 1 month into that service NOW TV stopped that service by changing the App. There was no requirement when I bought the service to have IOS 13 and above. They are changing the contract after it was accepted and consideration passed.

I have been to apple who confirmed that nothing else can be done from their side to install a higher version.

Therefore only option is to buy a new IPAD if want IOS or above.

However, earliest can get a new IPAD is now mid December per apple so bang goes watch the cricket world cup which will give me more time to follow up else where.

Completely stitched up as this devise is less than 6 years old. 

AlexB83
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User 

It's not the only option you can buy a variety of streaming sticks or boxes to watch through tv.

If yours is an iPad Air first generation then it was released 8 years ago so in tech terms that's quite a long time ago so support will start to become patchy 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Any help for you here?

https://www.ipadacademy.com/how-to-revive-renew-old-ipads/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.