cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got the firmware update for the old shield and amazon included. Still have to switch to ps4 to watch now TV. No remote for the ps4 so family won't use it. I'd buy a roku ultra (sky/now TV 4k box) but its not available in the UK.

Guess we all have to wait till now TV is replaced by sky Q over ip in 2018...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trump loves (insists on) android, fox loves trump, Murdoch owns fox, Murdoch owns sky/now TV - the next executive order? 😉
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  trump can make all the executive orders he likes Now is UK based 😉  Of course if you are not ........

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Now TV and other missing UK services are coming. Will likely come in an
update as pre installed
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm from the UK, so relatively safe from trump at the moment. Good to hear new services coming - where did you hear this
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  unfortunately for you it is currently unfounded speculation. 

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
>From nvidia, who knows if it's true at that was ages ago
Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 from me to NowTV on the shield.  I have been a shield and now tv user from early days and do like flexability.  Since Amazon came to the shield I now just have nowtv lingering on the PS4 which fair enough works but as I use my shield for virtually everything media related (netflix, prime, spotify, youtube, kodi) it would be great to add nowtv to the mix.

I know you say "there are no plans" ... so what make some plans!  There is an ever growing Android TV market place, espeically due to the likes of consoles like the shield which offer 4K HDR streams for decent suppliers why not make a plan and join them!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me specifically ... Presumably unfortunate for all subscribers with sony, Phillips tvs, nvidia shield and Amazon fire TV...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Obviously it would make sense to make an app for Sony, Philips, sharp, Amazon fire India shield (ignoring the other android boxes). I suspect the problem is more along the lines of...

Sky owns now, sky owns roku. That's why nowtv is restricted on set-top boxes. So there are no plans because it forces people to buy roku or sky Q. Further dented now that sky Q is going ip-only next year. Presumably via a rebranded roku box. Presumably this effectively kills now TV.

If now TV was independent there would be better set-top box support (but no sky Atlantic).

So the only real hope is that falling revenue at sky forces change to ripple through the various organisations (I.e. from 2018 onwards , but probably a year or so afterwards when contracts with HBO etc expire in 2020).

The real outcome is that people drift from sky to now and thereafter to Netflix which is expanding output and quality rapidly as well as taking up more of the output of e.g. syfy channel. I find Netflix last year had limited content at 1 series per month on average, but closer to 3 per month now...

Sky/now can't keep up and seem to fail to exploit their previous advantageous relationship with content producers such as syfy. They are now struggling to keep hold of them e.g. recently with discovery. As there is minimal content creation this is is bound to accelerate. Particularly evident with movies e.g. Disney now closer to Netflix. Sky cinema is pretty empty for new releases since December from what I can see...