cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Guys

After reading the review, linked to by Robert, it is obvious that the Shield is not only a high end device but is also expensive and requires that you have a high end TV in place as well. In other words, it's too expensive for most people to take an exploratory punt on. And as such, as I see it, not the type of device most Now TV customers would go for.

However, if Nvidia were to produce a cut down budget priced Shield, one where a punter could possibly upgrade from later on, then this device could gain more marketplace traction and so give Now TV reasons to develop an app/channel.

But as things currently stand, there is no incentive for Now TV to view the Shield with anything but polite curiosity. 

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

Agreed. I'd imagine the majority of NowTV customers wouldn't even fork out a few quid more for a Roku and are happy enough to stick with the nobbled NowTV branded devices.

Likewise, I could never imagine Nvidia degrading their product by putting out an inferior device in the hope of nabbing a handful of NowTV subbers.

NowTV doesn't belong in the big league of Nvidia Shields etc...

RoyB
Legend

As I said above, nobody is going to buy a Shield to run NowTV, any more than they would buy a laptop especially to run it.

The question that NowTV will consider is how many incremental subscriptions they might sell by being on the Shield, that they wouldn’t otherwise sell.

A secondary consideration might be that NowTV needs to be on certain devices for credibility, but the shield isn’t going to be one of those.

A contra-consideration is how secure NowTV can be on a given platform; would Android TV in general, or the Shield in particular, be problematic here?

And of course, as anyone who has looked in vain for a Google Play application to go on their Android TV device knows, Android TV isn’t the same as Android.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shield TV Owner here and use this device for games and streaming (inc Amazon Prime), just signed up for Now fibre with 3 Month trial on Now TV Pass. Very disappointed to find out this is not supported on Shield TV or my new Hisense 4K Smart TV, will be cancelling the Now TV Pass as I don’t want to buy another streaming stick/remote when the Shield TV & Smart TV should be enough. Yes people wont buy a Shield TV just for Now TV, they buy a Shield because it’s a very powerful games and streaming box that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it (apart from Now TV)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

NowTV don’t support any Android boxes, including the NVidia Shield.

Just Android phones and tablets.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can’t say we agree on the question here. Roku devices that are sold under the NOWtv brand are not cut down. They are functionally identical to the devices that Roku sell for more money under their own brand. It’s NOWtv that eat the cost difference for the sake of an additional subscriber.

What I’m saying is that getting your app onto Shield is not that hard. If Amazon, who as you say, have gone to the pains of developing their own devices for media streaming, have a Shield app that works well, then there is no good reason why NOWtv can’t or don’t. NOWtv is accessible through many smart TV sets, many of which run proprietary software like Samsung’s Tyzen. There’s no reason they can’t support it and not supporting it just seems obstinate. I know what you’re saying but when, on my Shield, I can access basically every other major streaming service EXCEPT this one, it doesn’t feel as though the onus should be on me to explain its absence or make a financial case. The Shield is a high end streaming device that utilises Android TV. It’s not an inextricable box of magic, nor is it totally obscure.

To the person saying NOWtv avoids Android. There is a NOWtv for Android so they don’t seem set on that.

RoyB
Legend

Of those Shield users who can’t get NowTV on it, some will use another device, some will buy a Stick or a box, and some decide not to subscribe to NowTV at all.

NowTV will then compare that projected loss of revenue with the cost of developing and supporting a Shield application. If they decide they are a long way South of breakeven (or even a short way South), the device will remain unsupported.

Similar considerations apply to Linux, and other unsupported platforms. 

As @ukbobboy suggests,  the prospect of potential piracy probably comes into it also.

But given the practically infinitesimal cost of a Stick, given the bundled passes with it, how dedicated a customer would NowTV consider someone who has hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds-worth of kit they could use it with, and yet declines to do so?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I find it weird that Netflix, Amazon Disney all are available on multiple devices yet the only awkward one on every alternative device is NowTV. It's as if they really don't give a crap about their customers and have the rather unhelpful attitude of - you want to watch NowTV, you gonna have to use one of limited devices next to the other one you own that covers literally every other streaming service!!

Their broadband was equally restricted. The NowTV hub was garbage but because I would need a code to use a decent router, and everything on the internet pointed to NowTV not giving me it, I changed provider.

NowTV are a bit paranoid, lazy and generally don't listen to their customers needs

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

OK Waffy

Now TV is restricted but you don't have to use their kit to receive their services, e.g.  I don't use Now TV's BB or their Internet streaming devices, nor do I need any special code, and I'm just fine with it.

So really, there's plenty of choice out there, it's just up to you to choose from the non-Now TV compatible kit available.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You may not really need it, as Shield TV has full Chromecast, you can legitimately cast the NowTV content from your phone,