cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pishnowtvandms
Advocate

Re: Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Get it together sky and provide an app for the best streaming device in the marketplace - I refuse to buy another device just to watch sub 1080p content.

I may however pay if i could get it on my Shield.

So $$$$ being missed out on from this potential customer!

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion

@pishnowtvandms 

Hi Pish

Forgive me if the following seems like silly questions but isn't the Nvidia Shield just a niche market in the UK? 

Also, Sky/Now TV have always been against running their software on Internet streaming devices running android, therefore do you have a reason, technical or otherwise, why they should reverse this policy?

UK Bob

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

Of those Shield users who can’t get NowTV on it, some will use another device, some will buy a Stick or a box, and some decide not to subscribe to NowTV at all.

NowTV will then compare that projected loss of revenue with the cost of developing and supporting a Shield application. If they decide they are a long way South of breakeven (or even a short way South), the device will remain unsupported.

Similar considerations apply to Linux, and other unsupported platforms. 

As @ukbobboy suggests,  the prospect of potential piracy probably comes into it also.

But given the practically infinitesimal cost of a Stick, given the bundled passes with it, how dedicated a customer would NowTV consider someone who has hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds-worth of kit they could use it with, and yet declines to do so?

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’.
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
ldoodle
Advocate

"Forgive me if the following seems like silly questions but isn't the Nvidia Shield just a niche market in the UK?"

Not really - it's just another option for consuming streaming services. It's not really any different to the apps on Smart TVs or other streaming devices like Apple TV, NowTV's own Roku stick etc.

And clearly, streaming services are no longer "niche", so nor is how you consume them. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/uk-becomes-a-nation-of-streamers

"Also, Sky/Now TV have always been against running their software on Internet streaming devices running android, therefore do you have a reason, technical or otherwise, why they should reverse this policy?"

Except it's available on all other Android devices, phones included, so they'd be totally daft if that's their reasoning. How it's available on a gaming console but not a specific streaming device defies logic.

As a Shield owner myself, it's very frustrating.

Speaking more generally, having multiple devices is not acceptable (would you own 2 TVs in the same room if one provided exclusive BBC access and the other exclusive ITV access). Doesn't matter to me if a Now TV stick is only £20, I'm not switching between different devices for the same purpose. That's a totally sucky user experience for this day and age.

Right now, it's easier to pirate this material that consume it legitimately.

0 Thanks
pjtaylor
Advocate

Feel your pain. FWIW (and getting off topic), I've given up waiting and switched to Samsung TV - seems to have it all including NowTV.

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@pjtaylor 

I tend to agree - we are an all-Samsung household. Though it will be a hard choice next year when we want OLED, if Samsung are still pushing QLED; good though it is, it isn’t OLED.

However, any TV can have NowTV, even if it is not a native app on the set, for the £15 price of a NowTV stick.

So I shan’t let NowTV sway my choice of TV brand, as, thankfully, I don’t have to 😛

If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
pjtaylor
Advocate

Agreed. My point was more to do with IDoodle's comment which I agree with - a one stop shop/device for everything is the ideal:

Speaking more generally, having multiple devices is not acceptable (would you own 2 TVs in the same room if one provided exclusive BBC access and the other exclusive ITV access). Doesn't matter to me if a Now TV stick is only £20, I'm not switching between different devices for the same purpose. That's a totally sucky user experience for this day and age.

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@pjtaylor 

We‘re used to switching to a BluRay player and a YouView box, so switching to a NowTV Stick doesn’t faze us at all. For a long time, the NowTV app on the Samsung TVs we have didn’t have subtitles, so we used a Stick instead to get them; and as we don’t need the HDMI input for anything else, we still do, out of sheer force of habit 🙃

0 Thanks
ldoodle
Advocate

"We‘re used to switching to a BluRay player and a YouView box, so switching to a NowTV Stick doesn’t faze us at all"

But to me they're 3 distinct 'services': physical disc, Live TV, streaming.

When a device is labelled for 'streaming' as its primary thing, having to have supplemental 'streaming' devices is totally stupid. If your YouView box does all your streaming services except NowTV, then also stupid and I would not be happy with the duplication.

Imagine if a Sony player only played films made by Sony.

I'm just saying that every streaming service absolutely has to be on every streaming device. People do not want different devices, different UIs, different remotes etc. etc.

I happen to think that the distinct apps-per-service we already have (and is only going to get worse) is idiocy - should be one interface provided by the streaming (Shield, NowTV, Apple TV etc.) where you add credentials for the available services and that interface brings everything together: sign in to Netflix and Amazon Prime and go to 'TV Shows' and it shows both services' content together.

The experience we have now is so much worse compared to traditional TV-based EPGs from the past.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@ldoodle 

Wow, where to start?

Yes, of course we would all like a single device that does everything we want.

But what do the streaming service providers want? 

Always, follow the money:-

(i) Why would NowTV want Amazon Video on their devices?

(ii) Why would NowTV want Netflix on their devices?

(iii) Why would Roku want NowTV, Netflix, and Amazon Video on their devices?

(i) Indeed; rival content, rival device; so if Amazon want to be on NowTV devices, NowTV will want the quid pro quo of being on Amazon devices. If either think they will be disadvantaged by this, it won’t happen.

(ii) Interesting; rival streaming service, but no rival devices; Netflix have been careful to be on as many platforms as they can, but never to create a device of their own. But how come they are allowed on NowTV devices at all? Because NowTV judge that however much revenue they may lose to Netflix on their device, they will lose that anyway to Netflix on other devices, and lose still more because people will be put off getting a NowTV device if they have to use something else for Netflix.

In other words, Netflix have ‘critical mass’; Amazon don’t. And nor did, or do, NowTV; lots of apps for different devices, but not the critical mass that would let them go without a device of their own. And clever to hook up with Roku to provide it, rather than trying to design their own.

(iii)  Pure device maker; the more apps the better, for them.

YouView, of course, is so much more than live TV; streaming, recording, with an EPG you might love; it goes back for seven days, and if you click on a programme that is on a catchup service, then the relevant player will be opened for you, and the programme shown, quite seamlessly.

But the arcane licensing issues that have kept full NowTV off YouView, and are only just being overcome, are typical examples of why your dream is so difficult to realise.

And as for TVs, our Samsungs are probably the most app-rich TVs you can buy; but the native NowTV is dog-slow compared with the NowTV Stick. And the Smart 2012 32in TV in the snug still has a picture to rival the Smart 2018 one in our bedroom, but most of  the apps have died, and the rest are sludgy; processors have moved on.

So, the inevitable need for a stick to restore its smarts.

The path to your dream needs to thread its way through that lot......