cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shield is running on LAN

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s now 27/11/2018 and it’s still not available. Poor show. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

It’s now 27/11/2018 and it’s still not available. Poor show. 

Highly doubtful it ever will be, let’s face it they can’t even manage 1080p or provide access to red button games on sky sports.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gutted it's not on the sheild. Thing is there are a huge amount of sheild users. I'd argue more than Roku. But genuinely gutted they don't support it. It really would be the killer box for all boxes. Now TV and 4od. Oh and itv 😂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still waiting

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Get it together sky and provide an app for the best streaming device in the marketplace - I refuse to buy another device just to watch sub 1080p content.

I may however pay if i could get it on my Shield.

So $$$$ being missed out on from this potential customer!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Pish

Forgive me if the following seems like silly questions but isn't the Nvidia Shield just a niche market in the UK? 

Also, Sky/Now TV have always been against running their software on Internet streaming devices running android, therefore do you have a reason, technical or otherwise, why they should reverse this policy?

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Forgive me if the following seems like silly questions but isn't the Nvidia Shield just a niche market in the UK?"

Not really - it's just another option for consuming streaming services. It's not really any different to the apps on Smart TVs or other streaming devices like Apple TV, NowTV's own Roku stick etc.

And clearly, streaming services are no longer "niche", so nor is how you consume them. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/uk-becomes-a-nation-of-streamers

"Also, Sky/Now TV have always been against running their software on Internet streaming devices running android, therefore do you have a reason, technical or otherwise, why they should reverse this policy?"

Except it's available on all other Android devices, phones included, so they'd be totally daft if that's their reasoning. How it's available on a gaming console but not a specific streaming device defies logic.

As a Shield owner myself, it's very frustrating.

Speaking more generally, having multiple devices is not acceptable (would you own 2 TVs in the same room if one provided exclusive BBC access and the other exclusive ITV access). Doesn't matter to me if a Now TV stick is only £20, I'm not switching between different devices for the same purpose. That's a totally sucky user experience for this day and age.

Right now, it's easier to pirate this material that consume it legitimately.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Feel your pain. FWIW (and getting off topic), I've given up waiting and switched to Samsung TV - seems to have it all including NowTV.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I tend to agree - we are an all-Samsung household. Though it will be a hard choice next year when we want OLED, if Samsung are still pushing QLED; good though it is, it isn’t OLED.

However, any TV can have NowTV, even if it is not a native app on the set, for the £15 price of a NowTV stick.

So I shan’t let NowTV sway my choice of TV brand, as, thankfully, I don’t have to 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.