cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Amazon is not on Now it is on Roku https://www.roku.com/en-gb/how-it-works
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268Yeah, but the Now TV Box is a Roku box, but you cannot sideload more than on app (and I already have Plex installed) and the Amazon app is not available from the skinned Now TV interface. I know what you are saying - a stock Roku box will play it all, but I already have an Amazon Fire TV box & a Now TV box.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Plex is available on Amazon box. Then you could free up the slot on your Now box.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thats true. I did brush the dust off my old Roku stick, and did wonder if that was the solution, but then I realised that there is no Kodi... At the moment I am using the Plex add-in inside Kodi (so only one app and not two). Has anyone seen the Roku Amazon Prime Instant Video file for Roku anyway (outside of the channel store). I would be intrigued if I could side load that onto the Now TV box...

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Personally speaking....

Unless Android make it far more difficult to remove HDCP protection on (HDMI output connected) devices running their operating system, I can't see time when the NOW TV app will be supported....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Just to update the few incorrect posts above...

Amazon instant video (prime) is an app on the nvidia shield TV. No need to side load - it was included in the recent update and supports 4k over hdmi.

To reiterate separatrly - I have a paid 6 month subscription which I effectively have stopped using as I can't watch it on our main TV. I'm planning on getting a new tv, but it's going to be a Sony oled (android TV). Please consider an android TV version of your app. If your Devs made such an app you would then be able to support the app on Sony TV's, sharp TV's Amazon boxes, nvidia shield tvs, etc as they are all the same platform (android). You should even be able to do this within a single app/codebase.

Fingers crossed someone listens after all we are your customers, and this would increase your sales (business case) as android represents a significant portion of the set top box and TV market...

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

I can't imagine that there'll be a NOW TV app anytime soon for Android playback devices that don't have in-built screens - for the reasons I mentioned previously.

However I really do hope that the NOW TV app makes it onto more TV's, including the Android OS based Sonys.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why do you say that - is this a personal worry? I fail to see why this is a problem for now TV but not HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Google, Hulu, BBC/iplayer all the USA cable channels who currently have apps. Why is it not a problem for roku or Apple TV, PlayStation & xbox? All of the content on now TV (perhaps excluding that made by sky) is available on nvidia shield - just not in the UK (sky exclusive licensed area).

Perhaps a little more detail of your reservation. I can understand a political reason (forbidden by sky), but technical/licensing doesn't seem to come into it given the situation with other providers listed above. Are you saying that people would copy e.g. game of thrones (most pirated/downloaded TV series ever even without nvidia shield app)...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

PS I forgot to mention that nvidia shield uses hdcp2.2 the international standard - yes in theory you could bypass this with a lot of programming skill and time after rooting, but you can also root/jailbreak Apple TV. Pirates at that point have an easier option by using Windows programs or hardware splitters/rippers - I don't know if you have noticed but there is already a lot of pirated stuff available. Again it was sourced without an nvidia shield app...
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sky have always been very pro-active when it comes to copyright protection.

And as it's way to easy to disable HDCP on Android devices and capture the media stream, it's fairly obvious that Sky/NOW TV wont be opening-up that Pandora's box anytime soon 😉