cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hudl 2 - "device is modified, go away" message

Hi,

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just got a Hudl2 and installed the NowTV app and it isn't happy; it thinks the Hudl2 is modified and so now TV watching/Chromecast casting. This was a new purchase from Tesco. I set it up, it asked to update itself and that was that. It's running Android 4.4.4.

Does support need adding for the Hudl2, which I'm guessing does has some modifications by Tesco to ensure all shopping is done with them to get their profits back on track. I'm sure this tablet will sell by the bucket load due to positive reviews and a low price tag.

If it is just me, then any suggestions? If it’s the Hudl2 in general, will support be added?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Really sorry to hear that you're having this problem. 

We'll be in touch via email with some steps you can try to resolve this. 

Thanks,

Steve

NOW TV Team 

View solution in original post

126 REPLIES 126
micmacmoc
Mentor

Birgit!

Hudl 2 android 5.1

Nowtv version as whatever downloads right now from play store

App crashes after closing and reopening on ANY programme, sports, entertainment etc

Have tried other solutions as previous in this discussion

micmacmoc
Mentor

Still fails every time I switch it on. Have to delete app, reload and do the passwords every time. Really not good.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @micmacmoc

Thanks for getting back in touch with us.

This is a known error, that seems to be a fault with the device itself since the 5.1 update.

The best thing we can advise at present is to speak with Tesco's customer support directly.

Thanks

Rob

NOW TV Team

micmacmoc
Mentor

Thanks Rob!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently purchased a Hudl2 tablet running Android 4.4 Kitkat which makes use of the Android Restricted Profile feature to provide parental control over which apps my daughter can run.

I installed NowTV using the main profile and everything worked fine on the main profile using my account details. 

When I enable the NowTV app to be accessible from my daughter's restricted profile the NowTV app still runs and displays the movie artwork, writeups etc but it does not verify or save the NowTV account details when I want to view a film.

As a result I am unable to let my daughter use NowTV from her tablet. 

Is there a way to get round this problem, or is there something that NowTV could do to support restricted profiles in Android? 

Using restricted Android profiles and the film classifications working together seems a good way to go to provide safe viewing of movies on Android devices.

Thanks,

Peter

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and sorry about the delayed reply.

Just to clarify - when your trying to watch something on your daughters account, does it allow you to play out content even though you have Parental restrictions ON or does it now remember your log in details (for automatic sign in)?

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The sequence followed is as follows:

1.  I sign into my normal (full) profile in Android.

2. I open the Play store and download the NowTV app.  I run the NowTV app and add my username/password.  This is remembered by the app and it works as expected, films can be viewed and age-related restrictions are applied correctly.  When I run the app the next time I don't have to re-enter the username/password again and can access the film library.

3. In my normal Android profile I create a restricted profile for my daughter and I enable her to see/run the NowTV app.

4. I login to my daughter's Android profile and run the NowTV app.  I can see the NowTV film library and when I try to view one I am asked for my username/password.  I enter this but I am unable to proceed beyond this point to view any films.

The problems are:

- neither the username or password previously entered are retained by the app when it is run from my daughter's restricted profile.

- if I enter the username/password when I am logged into my daughter's profile, the app simply returns to the film library page.  The username/password are not saved and the app does not allow viewing of films.

Once I can get the app to run correctly in my daughter's profile then I could confirm if the parental viewing restrictions (PG/12/15 etc) are working - hopefully they should do as this is stored in the NowTV account settings.

Thanks,

Peter

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for the detailed post.

I have passed it on to our platform team to get this looked into. Very strange situation.

Once I get further info or extra troubleshooting steps, I'll let you know.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Very sorry about the delayed reply.

Can you check whether your Android software is up to date? There should be Kit Kat update available.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The version of Kitkat installed is 4.4.2 

This is a Tesco Hudl 2 and I am not aware of any further updates.

The restricted profile is a standard Android parental control feature, so is not specific to this model.

Thanks.