cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clyd
Scholar 2

Downloads abroad

I wanted some downloads to while away the time on a very long flight to Australia.

I am very aware that streaming isn't possible, but it's very clear that pre downloaded content can be accessed anywhere abroad.

So I downloaded a series or 2 and checked while still In the UK that they were all in place.

Immediately on the plane I got an error screen implying network failures.

Obviously on a plane a network connection is not achievable or indeed necessary to view a download.

So I delved everywhere for a solution once I had landed. Although by then the internet was available it still gave the same error.

So I contacted Now chat for help.

Other than being told repeatedly that you can't stream abroad I eventually got the message across it was relating to downloads. Still achieved nothing, they maintained the line that you can't access your downloads abroad 

I was then sent a link that apparently explained this in words I would understand.

But obviously they hadn't read it first. The link only had 2 sentences and one of them clearly said downloads work abroad. I could almost hear the "whoops" down the line.

At which point they said technical support would contact me.

Needless to say no-one has 

So I did a bit more digging on my own,  I found reference to "if you log out you loose all the downloads"

Could someone please tell me that statement can't be true.

Logging out of an online app/website is good security practice. Indeed if left unused for a certain time I would expect it to log out automatically. Or if trying to resolve a problem you might well log out and back in to solve a problem.

I'd be a little surprised if I logged out of my bank and all the money disappeared!!

Anyway now back in the UK all the downloads have indeed gone.

Can anyone assist. It's too late for me as the other sites I use perform perfectly well, so I will use them in future.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I believe the tick box option to remain logged in is only using an internet browser when on the NOW website.

With regards to the NOW App on mobile devices, even if you fully power down the mobile device with the NOW App where you leave it logged in with your NOW login details, it still leaves you signed in once you power up the mobile device and open the NOW App again (it does for me on my Android mobile devices).

Perhaps do a dry test run.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

My understanding is that you can watch NOW Downloads abroad if you follow the criteria on their help article.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/having-problems-downloading-shows 

According to their help article I read if you sign out of the NOW App on your mobile device with the Downloads on them, the downloads are removed (no idea the NOW logic on this or the reason behind it).

When using the NOW App on mobile devices unless I physically sign out I will permanently remain left signed in with no time scale when you get automatically logged out of the App (that's my experience using the NOW App).

I always leave my mobile devices signed in using the NOW App, but have a Payment Pin setup on my NOW account.

Clyd
Scholar 2

Thanks for this. Basically you've confirmed my findings. The key issue is that if you log out you loose everything.

I've noticed just now while responding to you that I had to log on again. But also noticed a tick box that offers the option to remain logged in.

So I suppose the good news is that there is a way around the nonsense situation of losing everything.

So next time I will know.

A side issue to this.... does the "remaining logged in" survive powering off the device for whatever reason.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I believe the tick box option to remain logged in is only using an internet browser when on the NOW website.

With regards to the NOW App on mobile devices, even if you fully power down the mobile device with the NOW App where you leave it logged in with your NOW login details, it still leaves you signed in once you power up the mobile device and open the NOW App again (it does for me on my Android mobile devices).

Perhaps do a dry test run.