cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clyd
Scholar 2

Download to SD card

I want to download to my Android mobile. I'm happy with how to download to the actual mobile but for capacity reasons I want the downloads to go to the SD card.

I can't even find the file to copy it across, but even if I could I'm not confident that it would still work.

Any ideas please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petecc
Scholar 2

@Clyd wrote:

I want to download to my Android mobile. I'm happy with how to download to the actual mobile but for capacity reasons I want the downloads to go to the SD card.

I can't even find the file to copy it across, but even if I could I'm not confident that it would still work.

Any ideas please ?

I've asked NOW directly about this and it's not supported. Their excuse was "If you have an external storage (SD card) and that is removed/misplaced, the content would not patch up hence, downloads are confined to internal storage of the relevant device used".  I've pointed out that I'd take the risk and that both Netflix and Amazon Prime allow people to choose. That was jsu a few days ago, so I'll see what they say. It's also worth noting that you can't get full HD (with Boost) on Android (or iPhone, or Windows, or Mac). Their excuse for that was just that boost offers more than just HD, which wasn't really the point.

I suggest contacting them too. The more the better.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I don't believe it's possible, where NOW / Content Rights Holder wouldn't have any control of the download if it was transferred to a SD card for example.

You could always ask the question directly to NOW by maybe sending them an email using the email address on this screenshot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

Forgot to mention you can reduce the size of the file download in the NOW App Mobile settings.

Know idea about how the quality would look like, where I have never tried the low setting myself.

Screenshot_20230220-115356_NOW.jpg

Clyd
Scholar 2

I've done some further research.  iPlayer definitely doesn't allow SD download due to rights issues. Amazon definitely does allow it and I'm confident Now doesn't allow it.

Guess which service I'll go with for my VERY long plane flight.

petecc
Scholar 2

@Clyd wrote:

Any ideas please ?

I've asked NOW directly about this and it's not supported. Their excuse was "If you have an external storage (SD card) and that is removed/misplaced, the content would not patch up hence, downloads are confined to internal storage of the relevant device used".  I've pointed out that I'd take the risk and that both Netflix and Amazon Prime allow people to choose. That was jsu a few days ago, so I'll see what they say. It's also worth noting that you can't get full HD (with Boost) on Android (or iPhone, or Windows, or Mac). Their excuse for that was just that boost offers more than just HD, which wasn't really the point.

I suggest contacting them too. The more the better.

Clyd
Scholar 2

Many thanks for the detailed response. I've accepted it now as inevitable.  It really isn't an issue normally, it's just that I'm going on a very long flight and need all the entertainment I can get hold of. It'll have to be Amazon on the SD card then. Cheers 

chilli2
Elite

Been a while since i had a mobile device with a SD card, what phone/device are you trying to use?

There was ( and possibly still is) an option on some devices when inserting an SD card to format it as external storage so it would act as a standard SD card, or format it as internal storage - where it functions as part of the phone/devices internal storage

There should also be an option to move apps to the SD card which also frees up space on the internal storage .

One thing to be aware of is that if the SD card starts playing up or is removed this will / can cause your device o play up/ perform badly etc  and its because of this that some manufacturers removed the option to install to SD card and/or internal/external storage options - or the SD slot all together

Clyd
Scholar 2

Many thanks for your response. Everything you say is correct and relevant, but I've decided not to worry about Now downloads anymore. 

I still have space on the phones "disc" which will be adequate for any Now content that I may want.

But during my "research" I was at least able to confirm which of the services I use enable downloads to SD cards.

Now.  no

iPlayer no

Amazon.  yes

Many thanks though.