cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Download Offline without WiFi

Having just acquired a NowTV pass from the McDonald’s Monopoly promotion, I’m very pleased to learn that you can now download programmes and movies to watch offline (which, living in London, is very useful).

However, for reasons known only to the developers of the NowTV app, the downloading of content had been limited to WiFi only. This is exceptionally limiting, as I am most likely to want to download content whist I am out, on my way to catch an underground train.

There is no technical reason for this limitation - internet is internet, and other major streaming providers (Netflix and Amazon Prime Video) don’t have this limitation.

Please state in exact terms why this limitation is imposed, and when you plan to remove it.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Completely with you, I am in search of the same answer.

I do not understand the limitation or whether they are looking into improving this.

Would like answers soon

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would also like to know the answer to your question being as I dont use wifi as I have unlimited downloads on my phone,and never use public ones as too slow...bbc app is the same,its absolutely ridiculous in this day and age to restrict like that. At least hav an option to switch it if there's a worry people will download and get charged lots for it. Treat us as adults!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

FYI the BBC App now allows mobile data downloads, just NOW TV dragging their feet... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like this too - if I forget to download something at home before a flight, for example, it means I can't download it using 4G even though I'm happy to use the data for it. I use a VPN when connected to public wifi (which I know most people don't bother doing, but even Apple warns you to do when connecting) and of course Now TV then blocks downloads when connected to a VPN. This means I can't download using airport wifi unless I connect insecurely to an insecure network. It's very frustrating, please sort it out Now TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m also keen to understand the logic behind this one - in the day and age of BIG data and 5G.... this makes absolutely no sense. Catch up with the rest of the streaming companies Sky - it’s not like you don’t charge enough!!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It also appears to try and stream data even if you have downloaded content on wifi. I use it on a train where you loose signal and I noticed it buffering an episode I had downloaded. It looks like you need to turn off data to use this. I thought iPlayer was bad! This app needs some re working.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ditto. Unlimited data, can't download. Ugh.

Default a setting to WiFi downloads only, but let us toggle it

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ditto.

Knowing how Sky are on content and licensing (ask any pub landlord) I suspect this may be more about that.

Its absurd that a mobile app won't allow mobile downloads of content. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s not a great solution but you can use someone else’s personal hotspot / tethering.