cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast stream disconnecting during adverts...

Hi all,

I'm attempting to stream Sky Sports via Now Tv App on iPad/Chromecast. During every advert break, the rotating logo appears, then the stream stops and the 'Ready to cast' screen is shown. I then have to select and start the stream again.

It's very annoying. I've tried restarting everything - router, chromecast, ipad, app etc., checked all connections (not that I've changed any) to no avail. The same thing happens on all three Chromecasts in my house, connected to various TV's.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem, or is an update to the app going to be rolled out soon?

Rgds.

102 REPLIES 102
happynowtvuser
Scholar

I'm having exactly the same issue here... and I'm glad to have stumbled on this thread, as I've wasted some considerable time troubleshooting my equipment/network/settings since I've failed so far to get a response from NowTV as to whether this was a known issue.

- It only started happening in the last week or two.

- As others have mentioned, it seems to happen at the transition INTO or OUT of the commercial breaks (ie. just after the ad break starts, or sometimes just before the ad break ends)... although I guess it could be one particular advert that is failing to stream.

- The Chromecast device itself gives the spinning dots / buffering icon in the middle of the screen for a few seconds, then it gives up & drops back to the "NowTV ready to cast"-type screen.

I've tried to email NowTV but got a bounced email notification. I also tried online chat, but that wasn't working for me!

Anyway, I have some further information that may be of use in solving this...

I also use the NowTV Player on Windows 10 (the standalone one, not the Windows Store app). Around the same time the Chromecast issue started happening, the Windows player also seems to have started crashing periodically. I don't use it all that often, so I don't recall if every crash was at the start/end of ad breaks, but the last few certainly were. When it crashes, it seems to cause a graphics driver failure/restart in Windows.

I can't say for certain this is related to the Chromecast issue, but it seems quite likely, given I've used both the Chromecast & the Windows player for some time without issue before they both started acting up at a similar time.

It is getting very annoying having to keep re-casting at each commercial break, and the repeated crashing of the Windows app is troubling. As someone else commented, if this isn't resolved soon I will be requesting some form of compensation for the constant inconvenience.

Please can @Tony-D or anyone else from the NowTV team pass on that additional information above, and provide an update from the dev team on when we can expect this issue to be resolved.

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issue.

Streaming is fine during the main broadcast and when a Sky/NowTv advert is being shown.

I'd hazard a guess that Sky are trying to show regional based adverts. I.e similar to what ITV do but it's breaking the stream.

It's damm annoying to keep restarting the stream multiple times during advertising breaks not that I really want to watch the adverts.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same problems very annoying

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Keeps happening to me during NBA games which is even more frustrating as there's adverts during every time out

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yet another frustrated user...😠

Same symptoms as described above

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another one for this issue, movies work fine just sport going to adverts really annoying

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same for me trying to watch F1 practice - I can't go back to my old Roku box until November. Very annoying!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. The advert breaks stop now tv streaming to chrome cast.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same Problem here during the Mexican F1 GP Weekend

VERY VERY ANNOYING!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll be contacting my credit card company to initiate a chargeback tomorrow. NOT HAPPY after shelling out £179 for a season pass and getting no response whatsoever from NOW TV despite contacting a staff member. Not even going to attempt live chat.

Further, after the update applied on 31st October, my Smart Box is now freezing randomly - utter, utter crap!!

Rgds.