Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast from iPhone not working

Hi Folks,

wondering if someone can help. 

i’m trying to Chromecast from my iPhone XR to my tv. Frustratingly it’s not working.

the Chromecast icon shows itself, and when I press it, it says ‘connect to device’ but displays no devices.

I was told on a live chat with Now that I needed to buy Now Boost in order to use Chromecast (which is frustrating and never used to be the case). I subscribed and I’m having the same issue.

Chromecast is working fine on all other apps - YouTube/Netflix etc. 

any help greatly appreciated! 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity does the iPhone run fine on the NOW App when watching on the phone screen without casting ?

In theory to avoid purchasing a Boost Membership, you can cast first before hitting the play button on your smartphone or tablet to avoid the one maximum simultaneous stream limitation without Boost.

Though it sounds like you have another problem.

Also is BT your ISP and if so are you using a BT Hub ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks a lot @schnapps .  appreciate your response.

yes, the content streams fine on my iphone, it just seems not to allow me to connect to the Chromecast.  as i say, the symbol comes up on the app, and i can press it.  but it then doesn't list any device which i can connect to.  

and I use Hyperoptic broadband, so I think it should be fine on that front. 

any thoughts greatly appreciated.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Not familiar with that ISP to be honest.

I am assuming you haven't accidentally switched the phone over to your internet data rather than off the Home Router ?

The Reason i mentioned BT is because their Smart Setup feature on their Router sometimes doesn't play ball with the NOW App when Chrome casting and you have to disable it.

I haven't used my Chromecast Dongle in years for streaming on the NOW service to be honest and can only suggest the basics such has resetting the Chromecast by holding in the reset button for around 30 seconds, reboot your Router, download a fresh Google Home App onto your phone.

If the error message is on the phone, this usually means it's the NOW side of things, if the message is on the TV screen it usually points more to the Chromecast side of things.

Also maybe try the Community Search box for any other similar results.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks again @schnapps . 

issue is now actually resolved.  I deleted the app and reinstalled, and I think first time around i hadn't given it permission to connect to the wider network.  

thanks a lot for your help.