cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Chromecast 5.1 issue?

Hi All

When I cast the NOWTV app using my android 10 phone (pixel 3a) it works and picture seems to be HD but the sound is showing as stereo. Went to the NOWTV app on my phone and can't switch to 5.1 surround. It says I need the Boost pass but I already have that and can switch to 5.1 on other devices like Youview and PS4.

https://ibb.co/tZ4qh7L 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apuk2004
Scholar 2

This is now fixed in a recent update! 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Just thought I would point out that NOW TV is now available on firestick! Hurrah!!

Goodbye Chromecast / Boost Pass via BT / 5.1 issue! 

However, still got issues!?!?!

When registering NOW TV via Firestick it comes up as an Android TV device which is interesting (as well as wrong!)

And also 5.1 does work using my firestick (4K) but only after selecting it under Boost in My account and then it seems to revert back to Stereo even though surround is selected. 

I'm starting to think it might be my combo of TV (Sony KDL EX503) Amp (Sony DTR 820) and since my firestick and Chromecast are plugged into my TV and then ARC back to the amp but I have no issues with other firestick apps like Netflix and Plex.

Anyway thought I'd post it here as well as in a Firestick thread. It's not a fix for the Chromecast issue but a workaround if you have a Firestick and NOW TV via BT... but as mentioned the Firestick app also seems to have intermittent 5.1 issues!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, I got bored after work and had a look at my BT account to see if the reported 'Fault' had any progress - to my joy it had been closed by BT as 'Fixed' on the morning of 15th December. No update, NO fix, no nothing. Well don't BT tech support!!!!!!!

Anyway, being bored and now more than a little irate I spent an hour on the phone trying to get back through to BT tech support. They confirmed that it had been closed, but there was no fix - in other words they had closed it because they didn't know what to do with it. Hmm. Great customer service BT well done.

The chap in Tech support (I do have his name but will hold that back for now) said that it needed to be dealt with by the Technical Management Centre; a department that I'd had previous contact with, which in December had sent out an email telling me that it was my fault as I hadn't set it up correctly. Great. But it had been left open because they didn't know why the passes did not show correctly ('open', but no further action).

So now an email has been sent back to the TMC by Tech Support saying that the fault still exists (and yes I've checked and it hasn't changed - still cant select 5.1 because the passes don't show or are not being read correctly by the NowTV app therefore casting to the Chromecast Ultra with 5.1 is not possible).

So now the wait - in the hope that the TMC do pay attention and do something (or at least work with NowTV to resolve).

A note to BT Tech support/TMC/NowTV support who have the link to this thread - I'm more than happy to discuss and assist in user testing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Don't think it's a BT problem, I am having the same 5.1 problems with the now tv stick.

Now tv are now working on the fault.

A temporary workaround I am using is when content will not play in 5.1 go back to main menu and try again, it can easily take 6 tries to get there but for now it's the only way around the problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe the NowTV Stick 5.1 issue is completely separate (but might be related to) the BT, NowTV app 5.1 issue. 

As previously detailed the app does not recognise the BT NowTV Boost pass and does not allow 5.1 to be selected.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

This is now fixed in a recent update! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to disagree but this has NOT been resolved on Android. I've been working with BT Technical and it is resolved for iPhones but NOT for Android so please don't claim it is resolved when it is not!

It is a NowTV fault and the BT Technical Management Centre are working with NowTV to try and resolve. The iPhone side was fixed about two weeks ago. Android remains a problem although the passes are now visible in the app but the Chromecast sound option still doesn't recognise the Boost pass.

apuk2004
Scholar 2
apuk2004
Scholar 2

I definitely have the 3rd gen Chromecast. Has a little G in the middle 😎👍🏻