cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Chromecast 5.1 issue?

Hi All

When I cast the NOWTV app using my android 10 phone (pixel 3a) it works and picture seems to be HD but the sound is showing as stereo. Went to the NOWTV app on my phone and can't switch to 5.1 surround. It says I need the Boost pass but I already have that and can switch to 5.1 on other devices like Youview and PS4.

https://ibb.co/tZ4qh7L 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apuk2004
Scholar 2

This is now fixed in a recent update! 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

Out of curiosity did you try the Chromecast Gen 3 Dongle with a different smartphone when using the NowTV App ?

Also when watching Netflix through the Sony AV Receiver, i am assuming that Dolby Digital Plus was showing also on the Sony Receiver Display panel ?

I doubt this is relevant, but sometimes a full factory reset on the Google Chromecast works when NowTV is a little flaky or not playing nicely with the NowTV App.

Hopefully somebody from NowTV Technical Dept will figure it out.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Hi

Just a quick update to say I've still got this issue. And yeah I tried 3 different phones😞

I think its the NOWTV android app at fault, but maybe only affects BT customers as BOOST works fine on my PS4 and Youview as I can switch between stereo and 5.1 in the NOWTV settings.

Still waiting for an email back from the android app developers.

Regards,

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this is an issue with the NowTV app not recognising that you have boost for 5.1 sound if you have bought your pass through BT.

I have exactly the same issue and on the chromecast sound settings page it doesn't allow me to select 5.1 and says 5.1 is only available with boost (even though I have boost from BT).

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Thanks for replying and confirming you have the same issue.

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with this and have not had a reply from the Now TV android developer or Now TV customer support so the issue remains.

Luckily I have Youview boxes and a PS4 where the boost works fine so I just use them to watch movies and TV shows to get 5.1 surround sound but it's disappointing that the Chromecast 5.1 doesn't work with a Boost pass from BT.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have the same issue casting from the NowTV app from an Galaxy S20+ to a Chromecast (Ultra in this case) as a new BT VIP (full package)NowTV customer. I am unable to select 5.1 in the sound options in the app.

I have previousky had 5.1 working with my old S9+ when I was just a direct Now TV customer so the issue seems to be with the android app not correctly recognising the Boost pass through my BT/NowTV account.

The app doesn't 'see' the passes but it does allow me to view the channels on the phone and cast them.

Anyone got any further in resolving this?

The Boost 5.1 does work directly through the NiwTV app on my LG TV. It's the android app which is having the problm

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Attached is the screen shot of the account page which is showing that the passes are not present, yet I am able to view and cast correctly (other than use 5.1!). I'm not sure if I'm getting 720 or 1080 casting from the app but suspect 720.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Thanks for posting to say you have the same issue as me and yeah it's still a problem! 😥

Clearly not many people who have NOW TV via BT and are trying to cast have seen this. 

If more people contact support or the app developer (see play store for email address) maybe they will do something about it. 

For now I just use PS4 (now got a PS5) or Youview boxes to get 5.1 with NOW TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I`ve emailed the developers and also in contact with the NowTV help.

The `Help` isnt great!!! I`ve provided screenshots and all the background in that I have the passes on my account and that its the APP that does not recognise the BT NowTV pases. They keep giving me standard reponses eg uninstall, reinstall, buy a pass (aaarrgghhh}, turn on 5.1 in sound settings (not possible as it says I don't have a pass!)....all useless as I`ve done all that. Most recently they told me that my wifi and download must be too slow and somehow quoted that I have 4mbps - my network runs at around 100!!

The problem is specifically with the app not recognising the Bt NowTV passes. None are shown in the app (although I can watch the necessary feeds) - the Boost pass is not recognised so is not available.

If any mods or techs read this can you pelase pick it up and do something?? I`m happy to work with you to try and resolve.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Still can't switch from Stereo to Surround sound using Now TV on Android 11 (Pixel 3a) while casting to a Chromecast. I got the Chromecast Ultra recently for Stadia 😔

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just an update....

Still not working casting from S20+ to Chromecast Ultra. The option to select 5.1 is not available as the app is not recognising the BT Boost pass.

NowTV help have said that it's nothing to do with them. 

BT Tech support (Karl) is supposed to be dealing with it. I last heard from him on 14 December and he's promised to get back to me with a resolution - we'll see!

All I can do is keep shouting about it and hopefully someone will realise that there is a problem and it's not me being stupid. At the end of the day it's something I'm paying for and not receiving so hopefully there will be some form of recompense.