cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Chromecast 5.1 issue?

Hi All

When I cast the NOWTV app using my android 10 phone (pixel 3a) it works and picture seems to be HD but the sound is showing as stereo. Went to the NOWTV app on my phone and can't switch to 5.1 surround. It says I need the Boost pass but I already have that and can switch to 5.1 on other devices like Youview and PS4.

https://ibb.co/tZ4qh7L 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apuk2004
Scholar 2

This is now fixed in a recent update! 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

BT would be your first point of call because you are a BT TV customer using the NowTV Bolt on service paid through BT direct.

You could try NowTV live chat if nobody comes to your rescue on here, but i would guess they will bounce you back to BT because you are their customer even if the App is NowTV's.

i would also try the BT TV Community Forum if it was me.

If you get it sorted, i for one will be interested to know what was going wrong.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Well after being passed from pillar to post on BTs helpline I'm back at square 1😭

They just said I've got the boost pass so should be getting 5.1 sound on my device.

They also advised I contact NOWTV so is there an email address I can use?

I've also posted this issue on BTs forum🤞🏻

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Saint1976
Elite 3

Do you have another phone or tablet and spare slots on your pass to test the app on another device?

Have you ever used Netflix free trial? If not, sign up for the first month free and cast something with 5.1

Either of those options should mean you can work out of its the pixel, Chromecast or app.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Good shout...

I've used all 6 slots but could have a play as I have a tablet and work mobile so could install NOWTV on one of them.

I can get a Netflix trial too so I'll post back when I've tested it all

Thanks dude 👍

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Netflix doesn't offer a free trial in the UK anymore the last time i checked 😠.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/12/netflix-getting-rid-of-free-trials-for-uk-customers/ 

Good call mind about trying a different mobile device and service to eliminate things further 👍.  

Saint1976
Elite 3

Yeah, seems I'm a bit out of date with Netflix.

I've just checked my prime video. That can be cast in DD+ and they still have a free trial!

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Hi guys thanks for your help yesterday

Thought I'd post an update...

Installed Netflix on my pixel 3a and casting using my Chromecast V3 still get stereo so maybe not a NOWTV issue after all!

Also tried Netflix on my firestick 4K and that allows 5.1 so it seems more like an issue with the Chromecast!

Bit stumped now and will probably just use the Chromecast as a last resort.

Also fairly sure that my Chromecast is capable of 5.1 and that it's a V3 due to comparisons I've made online.

If I get any updates or changes to this I will update you. Thanks again😎👍🏻

Also found this info quite interesting...

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/812989?hl=en&msgid=24078819

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Sorry guys but got another update 😂

Tried a new combo tonight...

Chromecast V3 plugged into my Sony DH820 HDMI Receiver and Netflix outputs 5.1 but NOWTV still only doing stereo!?!

Look...

Netflix Pixel 3a Chromecast HDMI receiver 

NOWTV Pixel 3a Chromecast HDMI receiver

I have opened a ticket with NOWTV as that error about needing BOOST doesn't look right to me still 😞

Saint1976
Elite 3

@apuk2004 I went down several rabbit holes after your original post where lots of people say they can't get 5.1 through Chromecast while others can and there doesn't seem to be a single reason why!

Looking at your latest post I think it's going to be an error in the app so good luck getting it sorted!