cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Chromecast 5.1 issue?

Hi All

When I cast the NOWTV app using my android 10 phone (pixel 3a) it works and picture seems to be HD but the sound is showing as stereo. Went to the NOWTV app on my phone and can't switch to 5.1 surround. It says I need the Boost pass but I already have that and can switch to 5.1 on other devices like Youview and PS4.

https://ibb.co/tZ4qh7L 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apuk2004
Scholar 2

This is now fixed in a recent update! 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

Bit of a long shot, what happens if you sign out of the NowTV App on your phone, then log back in again with the same account details that you use on your PS4 / Youview Box ?

If that doesn't work perhaps try a fresh download on the NowTV App and Google Cast App on your smartphone.

I don't use my Chromecast for streaming NowTV so i won't be any further help.

Then hopefully you can do this.

To select surround sound:

• Step 1: In the NOW TV app on your smartphone, go to My Account and scroll down to the Playback section.
  • Step 2: Under Chromecast Sound, ensure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is selected.

To select stereo:

• Step 1: In the NOW TV app on your smartphone, go to My Account and scroll down to the Playback section.
  • Step 2: Under Chromecast Sound, ensure that Stereo is selected.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

If you have the Chromecast directly hooked up to a HDMI switcher box, see what happens if you bypass it and plug the Chromecast Dongle directly into your TV or AV Receiver.

Edit - Also assuming you are using a generation 3 Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra with the HD Boost Pass ?

• Chromecast Ultra or 3rd generation (note that 1st and 2nd generation Chromecast devices are not supported. See the image below if you're not sure what generation your Chromecast is.)

Help tipIf you're using Chromecast with iOS, you'll need to have the latest version of the NOW TV app (10.12.0) to enjoy Boost.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Reinstalled the android app, no difference.

The Chromecast is directly plugged into the TV and then I use HDMI (ARC) to a 5.1 receiver & speakers.

My other HDMI devices are plugged into the receiver and get 5.1 fine and I have a firestick plugged directly into the TV and that gets 5.1 ok. 

If you look at the screenshot the Chromecast options for stereo and surround are greyed out so could it be because i get NOWTV through BT?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

As a quick temporary test what happens if you plug in your Chromecast Gen 3 or Ultra directly into one of the HDMI input ports on your AV Receiver ?

I don't think if you are a BT TV customer matters if you subscribe to the BT TV NowTV HD Bolt on Package (might be wrong though because i am not a BT TV customer).

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Appreciate your help and ideas on this 😎👍🏻

Just plugged the Chromecast into a spare HDMI port on the receiver and it's still casting stereo😞How annoying! 

As I said I can do NOWTV in 5.1 on other devices wether they are plugged into the receiver or the TV.

Just been playing with other apps that can cast such as YouTube and BBC iPlayer and they are also just outputting stereo so it's either the Chromecast settings, my pixel 3a or the amp. I'll have a play around.

If anyone else had a Chromecast V3 and NOWTV BOOST it would be useful to know wether surround option is available..

Chromecast 5.1 issue  

Thanks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004

Changing to 5.1 on the NowTV App with my Chromecast Gen 3 worked for me using my Sony Xperia Android phone.

Here's the screen shot 

Screenshot_20200616-181533.png

No idea why it's not selectable for you if everything is up to date. 

Under My Account on the NowTV phone App I was using Standard play back quality. 

I am guessing your phone and Chromecast has the latest update? 

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Yeah phone on Android 10 with latest security updates and sure Chromecast gets updates automatically?🤔

I wonder if it's because it's NOWTV via BT...

It's as if NOWTV doesn't think I have BOOST..

My account...

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @apuk2004 

Because you are a BT TV customer perhaps either try the BT Community or get in touch with BT support (unless somebody on the NowTV Forum knows how to resolve it).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/bt-support 

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Thanks @schnapps 

I really don't think BT are gonna help with a NOWTV app issue but it's worth a try. 

I'll have a look on their forum and see if anyone else has the same issue 👍🏻