cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can’t stream to TV

I’ve just got now tv as part of my BT TV service, for some ridiculous reason there is no subtitles function on the service connected to the BT TV box (it’s 2022 for crying out loud, why is this still an issue???), and as I have a hearing impairment, I need subtitles! I have the app on my iPhone though and can get subtitles on there, and wanted to cast it to my tv from my phone so I could use the subtitles. I have a smart tv and an old Apple box connect to the tv, both of which work fine for streaming other apps from my phone, such as YouTube. However, the now tv app won’t show them as devices it can cast to, and won’t work when I use the mirroring feature on the phone. I’m close to cancelling the service as it’s so difficult to use, and I can’t seem to speak to a person at now tv for help, but I thought I’d try here for some advice first. 

Has anyone been able to figure out a simple way to just get subtitles on a tv with now tv?? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The problem with the lack of Now subtitles on YouView boxes is well known. And a bit inexplicable, as YouView can perfectly well do subtitles on live TV, or on other apps.

The first thing to check is whether your TV has the Now app. Lots of smart TVs do - Samsung, Sony Android, LG - most models since 2015. What make and model is it?

Or there are other devices you may have that support Now:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

In general, though, if you haven’t got Now on your TV, I would suggest an Amazon Firestick, or a Roku Express or Stick, between £25 and £50 depending on how sophisticated you want it (mainly HD or 4K depending if you can use 4K and/or you want a bit of futureproofing, though HD suffices for Now at present). That’s streamlined, reliable, and simple.

As regards Apple devices, I could be wrong (and if so, someone please correct me) but if you want to cast from an iPhone to a TV, then you need to have an Airplay device, either the TV itself or an app on it, or go via an Apple box with Airplay on it.

And Now doesn’t always like being cast or broadcast, and may refuse to play ball even with Airplay.

Roku or Amazon device gets my vote, if Now isn’t native on your TV itself.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ah ok thanks for your help