cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RAB78
Mentor

Browse on App, Play on You View

Is there a way to browse on the Android app and then send your chosen content to the NOWTV app on another device like a You View box? This would work similar to sending videos from your phone to a YouTube app on a smart TV. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RAB78 

Have you tried browsing on the NowTV App on your smartphone or tablet, then when you find something you want to save, click on the " Add to My TV" button on the smartphone / tablet NowTV App.

Then if you jump over to your Youview box NowTV App or NowTV / Roku Player it should be saved on the home screen front page under the Watchlist horizontal tile.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RAB78 

Have you tried browsing on the NowTV App on your smartphone or tablet, then when you find something you want to save, click on the " Add to My TV" button on the smartphone / tablet NowTV App.

Then if you jump over to your Youview box NowTV App or NowTV / Roku Player it should be saved on the home screen front page under the Watchlist horizontal tile.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RAB78 wrote:

Is there a way to browse on the Android app and then send your chosen content to the NOWTV app on another device like a You View box? This would work similar to sending videos from your phone to a YouTube app on a smart TV. 

Hi @RAB78 

Not exactly know or at least not in the way that you describe.

what you could do is browse and look for content on the android app and then add content you wish to watch to your watchlist. You could then find the content quickly and easily on a large screen device that has the now TV app.

Alternatively if you have a chromecast you would be able to cast from the android app to your TV (note devices that have chromecast built in , e.g. Sony android TV smart TVs or Nvidia shield TV are unofficially supported ). Although I should point out that most Sony android TV-based TVs should now be able to use the now TV app 

Here are some things to note when using chromecast with now TV

Using chromecast on NowTV
before I go into how chrome cast works on NowTV. Let me explain the ways in which chromecast can be handled that use device limits such as nowTV.

The most common way in which chromecast is handled is that the device which is used as the control device for the chrome cast is registered as a device but the chromecast itself isn't registered. The major disadvantage to this method is that only a registered device can control the chromecast. Although just like the second method I am going to explain below you are still able to move the chromecast . This is not the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast.

The less common way of handling chromecast is that the chromecast itself is registered as a device. The advantage of this is that it does not matter what device controls the chromecast. When you consider that a chromecast can easily be moved and will work on any piece of equipment that has HDMI input and supports HDCP. (I say equipment not Just screens because chromecast can be connected to AV receivers and then you have the AV receiver output to a TV).

So in a roundabout way, The less common method which by the way is the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast allows you in to somewhat circumvent the device limit because you can very easily change the screen/equipment you are using for the chromecast without it affecting your devices because it is the chromecast itself that is registered as a device not the screen or equipment you're using with the chromecast, so you can move the chromecast around and as mentioned above with this method any device can be used to control the chromecast. So if used correctly. This method gives you a lot of freedom

The one really important thing to remember when using chromecast with NowTV is that if you do not want the control device for the chromecast to be registered as a device, you must first put the NowTV app on your tablet or phone into cast mode before you play any content. This will prevent your phone or tablet from being registered as a device and only the chromecast will be registered.

If you do not put the app into cast mode before playing content then your tablet or phone will be registered as a device and when you cast to the chromecast a second device slot will be used

Using the inbuilt chrome cast functionality on Sony android smart TV
it is apparently possible for you to use the chromecast functionality that is built into Sony android smart TVs with NowTV. In theory when you press the cast button in the NowTV app to put the app into cast mode your Sony android smart TV should appear in the list as a device you are able to cast to. Be aware, though, that just like an ordinary chrome cast the TV will become registered as a device. Although the device will probably be identified in your device list as a chromecast

Be aware, though, that casting to  android TV  devices is not officially supported by now TV. So if you wish to cast content then it's best to get an ordinary chromecast. Otherwise if you run into problems. NowTV probably won't be able to help you much. Unfortunately

Hope this helps😁

EDIT

also see @schnapps post above

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @commanda6 

Because i don't use YouTube features that much apart from watching YouTube directly off my TV.

I am not sure my post is what @RAB78 is after ?

RAB78
Mentor

@schnapps 

@commanda6 

Thank you both for trying to offer some solutions. I think the use of Add to Watch List is probably the easiest way for me to to get content found on the Android app to my TV at the moment. I will be getting a Roku Streaming Stick Plus soon and intend to use the voice search feature but for now this will be fine.

Thanks again. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps 

for most devices with the YouTube app. Be that TVs or set-top box. The YouTube app on android has a feature that allows you to cast what you're playing in the YouTube app on your phone to a large screen device with the YouTube app, although it doesn't work in quite the same way as chromecast, so it wouldn't work for now TV

That's why I explained to @RAB78 how casting works with now TV as well as suggesting using the watchlist just as you did

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.