cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Your device activity limit has been reached, you cannot add another device"

Hello.

Wondering if someone can help me? im getting quite agitated over not being able to use my NowTv on my mac for the last two months it keeps displaying that message everytime i go to play something. 

All four of my slots are taken up - i have my sister using it on her xbox, i have my other sister using it on her phone, i have it on my Ipad which i use occasionally and then the fourth spot taken by my Macbook. However despite paying for it i have not been able to use it and i cant for the life of me figure out why - i dont want to add a new device my macbook has always been. I havent deleted any slots  the only thing i have done is added my sisters iphone a few weeks ago thats all.

any ideas?

37 REPLIES 37
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

It's an issue with the player that needs fixing at the moment, that seems to be caused by an incompatibility with certain internal graphics.

In the meantime if you have Silverlight installed on your machine, you can still use Firefox to watch in-browser via Silverlight (if you don't have Silverlight installed Firefox also prompts  to install the app).

Alternately, some users have reported a temporary fix by installing gfxCardStatus and forcing it to use discrete instead of integrated graphics, but it will depend on the model of your MBP and as it's a third party app I can't guarantee it will work and you would need to install it at your own risk (I don't have the issue on my Mac so I've not needed to do anything).

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Sky-Sports-Desktop-App-No-picture-but-have-sound/td-p/2580969/page/2

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy for the information... Tried both with no joy. Firefox is pushing me to the Player and the gfx doesn't seem to adjust anything for my Macbook.

Will need to wait for a fix. 

Best wishes

Jamie

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Hmm, that's strange - Firefox prompts me to use the app if I don't have Silverlight installed, but if it is installed it will play in-browser instead. Can you check if you've got Silverlight enabled in Firefox - go to Tools>Add-ons then click on Plugins and set Silverlight plugin to Always Activate. Then restrat the browser and try watching NOW TV again to see if that helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again Andy.... The machine needed a reset and it's playing in Firefox now.

Now I need to find a similar solution to the same issue with the Sky Player!

Best wishes

Jamie

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User That's good to know, not ideal but at least it's a temporary fix until the player gets sorted!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried to watch something on Now TV on my macbook pro (Yes, it is all up to date with MacOS Sierra 10.12.2) it told me I had to download the Now TV player. Fine. Downloaded and opened. Selected programme from my "continue watching" list. It asks if I would like to open the Now TV player to watch. Fine as it will not allow to me watch it otherwise. Now TV player opens..  "You've registered the maximum number of devices". It is the same device as before! 

Why does it think its a new device when clearly it should be going off of the Macs IPS/Serial no. whatever it uses to distinguish different devices. If I remove my Mac and add the Now TV player my partner will then have the issue of having to wait until February to do the same on his Mac.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Louise

I know absolutely nothing about Mac but I do understand that the Now TV app, from time to time, will count updates as new devices.

OK, so the best thing to do is contact Live Chat on the following URL:

http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Supported-devices

They will re-set your device count and get things back to normal.

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

@ukbobboy has given you the correct in this above in terms of resolving this issue

In the interest of spreading useful knowledge. The reason why you have run into this issue because the NowTV player uses a different kind of DRM. People who are switching from a web browser to the Windows app on a Windows PC run into the same problem most new DRM is now HTML-5 based as opposed to Silverlight-based or flash-based

I hope you've managed to get this issue resolved Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

@ukbobboy has given you the correct in this above in terms of resolving this issue

In the interest of spreading useful knowledge. The reason why you have run into this issue because the NowTV player uses a different kind of DRM. People who are switching from a web browser to the Windows app on a Windows PC run into the same problem most new DRM is now HTML-5 based as opposed to Silverlight-based or flash-based

I hope you've managed to get this issue resolved Smiley Happy

To clarify, this information is correct. Silverlight used a different "device ID" than the new player, so it does in fact count as two seperate devices.

If you've registered your mac using the silverlight player and you've already reached your limit, you will need to get your devices reset by the support team as suggested by @ukbobboy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have deleted a device because of an error code which was evidently showing incorrectly after an app update on Mac (which wouldnt update as football was starting so had to reinstall app - which is just a side issue). In order to sort the issue I was being adviced by NowTV to remove a device, I did, and now see that it can't be replaced until March 1, which is of no use as im trying to watch Swansea City v Leicester City.

Any normal place, I know Sky are too big to care, would have somewhere I can get it sorted straight away, but instead I have to hope that I can get this fixed whenever someone sees it.

(PS if justifying text is invalid HTML, you could pay someone who can remove the option to use it).