cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You need to install or update Silverlight

Hi, I'm running El Capitan and watching Now TV using Safari, which has just installed the latest update (v10).  Since then I keep getting 'you need to install or update Silverlight to watch NowTV', but when I click through to the link Microsoft informs me that I have the latest version.  I have set the Safari preferences to always allow Silverlight on Now TV.  What else should I try? 

Fran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all

@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

So the latest version of Safari has changed the way that you need to enable the Silverlight Plug-In.

If you follow these steps you should get back up and running again.

• Go to nowtv.com
  • Open something ready to try and watch (make sure the URL says watch.nowtv.com not just nowtv.com)
  • Go to the top menu and click Safari then choose Preferences
  • Choose “security” with the padlock icon
  • Click “plug-in settings”
  • Choose “Silverlight” from the list on the left and tick it
  • It should now say “currently open websites” and the customer should see “watch.nowtv.com” click the drop down box next to this and choose “on”
  • Click Done
  • Restart Safari

Thanks

Andy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The update resets the permissions in the browser. Try the following

1. Go to the NOW TV website and try to play a film or TV programme (depending on your pass).

2. When the error message appears, go to Safari>Preferences> Security> Plugin Settings

3. Make sure Silverlight is ticked on the left of the pane, then click Silverlight to bring up the permissions and make sure either www.nowtv.com OR watch.nowtv.com is listed on the right of the pane, and set it to On

4. Click Done, restart Safari and see if that helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Rob.

I had to completely uninstall and reinstall Silverlight before Safari would then accept the updated plug-in.  Hopefully that's it sorted now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same problem, however I have already done what has been mentioned as well as deleted and re-installed the Silverlight plug-in multiple times. Whenever I try to watch anything the silverlight install/update message comes up no matter what. I just have no clue as to what can be done. Help!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same problem.

I have installed silver light on my mac several times and i have checked the plug in settings and that still does not seem to work? can anyone help as i am paying for a membership that will not work?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all

@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

So the latest version of Safari has changed the way that you need to enable the Silverlight Plug-In.

If you follow these steps you should get back up and running again.

• Go to nowtv.com
  • Open something ready to try and watch (make sure the URL says watch.nowtv.com not just nowtv.com)
  • Go to the top menu and click Safari then choose Preferences
  • Choose “security” with the padlock icon
  • Click “plug-in settings”
  • Choose “Silverlight” from the list on the left and tick it
  • It should now say “currently open websites” and the customer should see “watch.nowtv.com” click the drop down box next to this and choose “on”
  • Click Done
  • Restart Safari

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have done this and it is still coming up with "install/update silverlight". I cannot understand what the problem is and I have done everything possible to get it working, however, it still cannot play videos. I appreciate the help 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Any chance you could do a screen grab of your Safari preference settings? Alternately, you could compare yours to mine to see if they look similar (also check if your Silverlight version matches mine)

I did have the same issue as you on updating Safari as it reset the permissions, but following the steps above is all I needed to do to get it working again.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 09.54.13.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just realised I made a stupid mistake and it was nothing to do with the software or the computer or NOW TV itsels, just human error. It works now, thank you so much for the help!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User It's the end result that counts, glad you are sorted! 😉