cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why do you use Silverlight?

Why do you use Silverlight?

I use Chrome, mainly on an old Macbook nowadays, and as you know based on the sticky I just read, Chrome no longer supports Silverlight.

So why haven't you moved to a platform that Chrome does support, like HTML5? Netflix has, and it works fine. iPlayer uses flash, but also works fine.

I don't use any other browser - they all run too slowly for me on my network connection. They're just unusable. So, how do I watch NowTV? It looks like I can't (on desktop) - this just isn't good enough. You should factor all changes into a service you provide - and this includes updating to different technologies if previously used ones become deprecated.

So, to consolidate my two questions (and I want a full answer, not just a macro response):

• Why do you use Silverlight?
  • When will you be moving to a newer, more comaptible platform?

Thanks,

Liam

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If safari still runs silverlight... fire fox won't matter as Safari is prebuilt in to OSX... IE is still on Windows and still runs silverlight....

IF safari and FIre fox terminate silverlight then Now tv will release the next version which the Suppliers of the content will have Agreed to run the content...

HTML5 is WORSE with compliance than silverlight as content producers now lock down external dispaly use on HTML5 as the PC user have found out. some can only use their Native tiny 10 inch screens... as HTML5 does not support the HDMI over USB connection for displays...  

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Mozilla plans to drop support for all NPAPI plugins except for Flash in March 2017, when Firefox version 52 is released. See this article and this blog post for details.

Taken from:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-silverlight-plugin-play-audio-and-video

Do NowTV have any plans on moving away from Silverlight before this happens?  As this would leave many of us without a choice but to cancel our subscriptions.

Thanks for the information @Anonymous User. I knew Mozilla were dropping support for Silverlight's but I didn't know exactly when until now. This has actually been a long time coming. The absolute end of life date for Silverlight was actually announced by Microsoft a year or two ago. By the end of 2021. Not even Microsoft will support it. Everybody else will have probably dropped support for it long before then.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Given the Safari preview builds seem to suggest that support is being removed they need to find a solution fast.

https://webkit.org/blog/7071/release-notes-for-safari-technology-preview-17/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh they have... another app

http://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-tv-on-a-mac

My bad