cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV App - Terrible buffering and overheating my Macbook

I'm literally on the verge of cancelling my subscription if the technical team doesn't respond to these issues immediately with a less generic response than I've previously seen them give.

No, it's not to do with my internet or my Macbook as I have completed all the appropriate updates and I can stream other sites content (like Netflix) with absolutley no problem and basically 0 buffering time. Please do not patronise me tp the extent of telling me that you're "investigating the problem" or that a "new update is available" because I've seen that response to the same problems I'm having going back 6 months so clearly nothing is being done about this.

In summary, nobody should be paying for a service like this, I signed up to watch the new Twin Peaks series as I wanted to view it legally. But what motivation do consumers have to legally view content when the paid-for service is completely sub-standard even compared to dodgy streaming websites?! That is a low bar, but I'm sure people woud rather go there and deal with the pop-ups than risk their laptops blowing up or watching their shows buffer endlessly.

Come on guys, sort it out.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I joined NOW TV 4 days ago and installed the player. It is totally overheating my MacBook Pro whenever I watch any content. I uninstalled the NOW TV player, tried installing Silverlight, only to find out that despite countless suggestions on the NOW TV help site to use Silverlight, NOW TV apparently no longer works on Silverlight as I was just told in the NOW TV live chat. The live chat also told me to install the "new" player, despite the fact that I told them I only joined NOW TV 4 days ago, so I am pretty sure there is no newer player. Installed it anyway, and, surprise, my MacBook is overheating after several minutes.

It seems crazy that this problem has been around for many months and Sky just does not seem to care?

Ridiculous to see how much money they spend just on advertising the new Game of Thrones season, but when I want to buy their service to watch it I find out I can't because of some bad software that they don't seem to have the resources for to fix.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I joined NOW TV 4 days ago and installed the player. It is totally overheating my MacBook Pro whenever I watch any content. I uninstalled the NOW TV player, tried installing Silverlight, only to find out that despite countless suggestions on the NOW TV help site to use Silverlight, NOW TV apparently no longer works on Silverlight as I was just told in the NOW TV live chat. The live chat also told me to install the "new" player, despite the fact that I told them I only joined NOW TV 4 days ago, so I am pretty sure there is no newer player. Installed it anyway, and, surprise, my MacBook is overheating after several minutes.

It seems crazy that this problem has been around for many months and Sky just does not seem to care?

Ridiculous to see how much money they spend just on advertising the new Game of Thrones season, but when I want to buy their service to watch it I find out I can't because of some bad software that they don't seem to have the resources for to fix.

I'm using the app on my HP laptop for the first time tonight. I only managed 1 episodes of Poirot but it was excruciating:

1. The laptop switched off twice. Actually, it didn't even turn off, the screen went blank and I could hear a mechanical humming

2. The laptop was so hot, I feel a blister forming on my hand

3. A message appeared after I managed to turn the laptop back on saying it has over heated

4. The episode was 50 minutes long but took nearly 2 hours to watch because it kept buffering and the sound would go. Even when I rewound the scene, it would "buffer" for minutes

I use BBC iplayer and 4od. I also watch several episodes of old Doctor Who on Daily Motion. I've never experienced overheating or sound problems with any of these sites. 

I hope you are planning on fixing this problem, I think the app is poorly designed. Idon't want to risk damaging my laptop, which means I can't use my account. This is a free trial for me but really not worth it if wrecks my laptop. Which also means that I definitely will not pay for the service after the trial.