cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app - no sound through Bluetooth speaker

OK, so I downloaded the new Now TV player app last week after being prompted about the withdrawal of Silverlight support, and once I got past the issue of having to register my Mac as a new device, I got the player working. However, the app won't consistently route the sound to other speakers. I've got a Mac Mini 2014 hooked up to an AOC monitor, and when I want to watch something on a streaming service, I normally turn on my Bose Sounlink Mini II Bluetooth speaker to get better sound. 

However, when I switch on the speaker while the Now TV Player app is running, it does not reroute the sound through the Bluetooth speaker and carries on playing through the internal speaker. If I start the app while the speaker is on, it does play through the speaker but only for a while, and then reverts back to output through the internal speaker. It doesn't matter what system setting I use, it won't consistently use any speaker other than the internal one. It won't even route the sound through the HDMI cable to the monitor's speakers, despite everything else in the system behaving in the manner I chose. 

Is this a known bug? What kind of API calls is the software making that are routing around the built-in audio system, and why? This isn't really acceptable behaviour, and I can't go back to Silverlight because, apart from it being deprecated, I'd lose out on the number of switches I'd get.

As an aside, I'm also annoyed that the app installs into the user applications folder and not the system one. My 10-year-old son also uses the computer but on his own account so that he doens't mess up my personal space, but the DRM scheme won't recognize it as the same system or even the same app. And I can't set my Mac up as two of my devices as I've already got three others named. 

I'm not impressed.

63 REPLIES 63
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same issue here, Its now June and this issue was raised in January, is there any chance this is being rectified? In my trial period at the moment but will not be continuing due to this. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem but just got it working by (and I know this is a kludge) running the PC version of the nowTV app through parallels on my Mac. I suspect the free version of 'wine' may also give you a working solution. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue - my sound won't play through my bluetooth speakers, which is bad because my laptop speakers are poor. Considering that I can't revert back to watching NOW TV on my internet browser, I'm considering leaving NOW TV because I can't watch the shows I want to with poor audio.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 ...Same problem here.  Who uses Twitter? maybe publicising this issue outside of this echo chamber of a forum might push NowTV or Sky to resolve the issue.  Another useless customer service offering, just pathetic.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep! Getting this too. So frustrating as literally everything else reroutes to my bose speaker, aside from this app.... Not happy, especially when I'm trying to watch the new episode of GoT 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes - have tweeted them. Will post response once I hear back. Fairly major bug!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. Trying to watch Game of Thrones on headphones, no sound despite repeated pause, restart, disconnect, reconnect. What a lousy service. I'm cancelling right now and finding the programme 'elsewhere'. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got it working by going back to a previous episode. However, despite my router beaming 24mbs to my Mac, it buffers and drops into low def all the time. Pile of crap, no wonder people use streaming services. 

@Anonymous User wrote:
Yes - have tweeted them. Will post response once I hear back. Fairly major bug!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I would like to share that I am having the same problem.

The moment I switch to another streaming platform, youtube, music or anything else, the sound comes from the speakers. The second I go back to the NOW tv player it only comes from the laptop, regardless of different settings.

In addition to the actual technical issue, I am also disappointed with the reply / service given to klsw by just telling us it is a Mac related problem. I am taking away from that exchange that you do not want Mac users to receive your service. I have cancelled my pass, since under these circumstances I can not fully enjoy a satisfying movie experience. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem! Please fix. It makes such a difference being able to use a different speaker.