cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app - no sound through Bluetooth speaker

OK, so I downloaded the new Now TV player app last week after being prompted about the withdrawal of Silverlight support, and once I got past the issue of having to register my Mac as a new device, I got the player working. However, the app won't consistently route the sound to other speakers. I've got a Mac Mini 2014 hooked up to an AOC monitor, and when I want to watch something on a streaming service, I normally turn on my Bose Sounlink Mini II Bluetooth speaker to get better sound. 

However, when I switch on the speaker while the Now TV Player app is running, it does not reroute the sound through the Bluetooth speaker and carries on playing through the internal speaker. If I start the app while the speaker is on, it does play through the speaker but only for a while, and then reverts back to output through the internal speaker. It doesn't matter what system setting I use, it won't consistently use any speaker other than the internal one. It won't even route the sound through the HDMI cable to the monitor's speakers, despite everything else in the system behaving in the manner I chose. 

Is this a known bug? What kind of API calls is the software making that are routing around the built-in audio system, and why? This isn't really acceptable behaviour, and I can't go back to Silverlight because, apart from it being deprecated, I'd lose out on the number of switches I'd get.

As an aside, I'm also annoyed that the app installs into the user applications folder and not the system one. My 10-year-old son also uses the computer but on his own account so that he doens't mess up my personal space, but the DRM scheme won't recognize it as the same system or even the same app. And I can't set my Mac up as two of my devices as I've already got three others named. 

I'm not impressed.

63 REPLIES 63
RoyB
Legend

@SiJones 

It came through in stereo, loud and clear 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
SiJones
Advocate
Glad to hear it worked!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This didn't work for me but thanks for the option

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue on my mac.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

same issue here...  bluetooth devices work in every app except NowTV player. What an oversight! Won't be continuing my free trial then... the app is already glitchy and poor at buffering. Thumbs down NowTV Smiley Mad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It hasn't be addressed yet!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nor 4 years later...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow - utterly flaberghasted by this... i had thought it was an error with the speaker and only by chance have I found this forum.

To be clear - a Mac device streaming Now TV does not support a bluetooth audio option?

To be clearer - This error has been known for four years and nothing has been done?

It would even appear that this thread is being ignored by the Now TV team

I shall be cancelling my Direct Debit

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Drop an email to customer support to see what can be done (if anything).

This forum is morphed into a customer only forum, so it’s highly unlikely that Now TV staff will monitor or post replies.

Email address found in the picture below.

FAF8A315-31CC-4141-847A-6032C5B6FAC8.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
SiJones
Advocate

Unsure if you'll see this.  I've (accidentally) figured out how you get around the problem so NowTV sound can be played through a bluetooth speaker or headphones.

I have both bluetooth headphones and a wireless speaker, both of which failed to play the sound from NowTV.  

Last night, I realised how you make it work (from a computer.)  

1) Don't open Now TV.  Instead, open something like Spotify or YouTube.  Connect to the speaker or headphones, playing a video or some music.

2) Then, while the music is playing, open NowTV and play your desired channel.  The sound from NowTV will then come out of your bluetooth speaker / headphones.

3) Stop playing Spotify / Youtube and the NowTV sound will continue to play through the bluetooth headphones / speakers.

This has drove me mental for two years!  But last night, I cracked it!  (Albeit by accident!)