cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Player - High CPU usage on OSX

I recently downloaded the NowTV Player App to watch shows on my Mac (had previously been using the SilverLight player in Safari). My Mac Book is a 2013 Unibody MacBook Pro. With an Intel Retina GPU.

Watching programs on it seems to send my laptop in to overdrive! The fans spin up and it gets really hot. When the Player is focussed (the window I'm looking at), CPU usage jumps up to anywhere from 50-90% with nothing much else in the background. Minimizing it or looking at another window the usage will drop down again. Looking at the Activity Monitor on my Mac, I see "CiscoVideoGuard" as taking up most of that usage, which I guess it the DRM being used. It also uses considerable amount of energy which I suspect will have an impact on my battery life watching it for more than a couple episodes at a time.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It makes late night watching without headphones difficult as the fans are spinning up so high and I need to raise the volume to compensate!

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here, completely unusable, never felt my laptop get this hot before... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm running NowTV v3.0.1 on my 2015 Macbook Air and the "CiscoVideoGuard" process is completely killing my machine. With NowTV running, the performance of my laptop is reduced to an unresponsive, stuttering mess - I can't tolerate it.

Very disappointed with Sky software products, please fix ASAP.