First Poster

Re: Now TV Player - High CPU usage on OSX

I'm also seeing extremely high using the Now TV Player app on a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro (2.5GHz i7) running macOS Sierra 10.12.5.  The CiscoVideoGuard process uses 105% CPU (more than a whole CPU) to run fullscreen, which starts the noisy macbook fan going, causes the laptop to run very hot, and chews through battery in no time, meaning it's not viable to use unless the laptop is plugged into the mains.

As stated elsewhere, other providers do not have this problem, so it is not fundamental to the problem of streaming DRM protected video, indeed Now TV does not chew battery on an iPhone, which is a much less powerful device.

+1 for resolution of this issue ASAP.

Occasional Poster

So when will the MAC app get fixed so that it's usable on mac laptops? (high CPU usage is not acceptable, as others have stated).

Now that I can no longer apparently get silverlight working with nowTV... really this is quite critical.

Contributor 1

I'm having the same problem on Windows 10. My laptop is a couple of years old but it's still an Intel i5 and even with virtually everything closed except NowTV it's pretty much unwatchable. I've had no problems with Amazon, iPlayer or Netflix. 

First Poster

Same here, i7 running windows 10. the sky go player uses 4 cpu  processes + cicsovideoGuard. Drains the battery in 30mins!

Occasional Poster

[ Edited ]

Same here, NOWTV is currently unusable for me on my Mac.  It gets very very hot, fans go full, CPU is high (Cisco Video Guard seems to be the culprit) and power usage is very high.  For the safety of my machine I don't think it is suitable to use, cancelling my subscription as a result for the Entertianment package.  Luckily the movie pass is still usable on my BT set top box app.  Tried on another mac to make sure it wasn't just my machine and same result. 

Please fix this Now TV or at least investigate and acknowledge the problem!

Occasional Poster

Re: Now TV Player 100% CPU Utilisation, Unwtchable Video & Audio

Same here, completely unusable, never felt my laptop get this hot before... 

Highlighted
First Poster

[ Edited ]

I'm using Windows with an i5.  This may be basic stuff that you already know, but someone here mentioned Silverlight.  So I'm watching Now TV using Internet Explorer 11 (which uses Silverlight instead of ciscovideoguardmonitor.exe) - CPU usage is lower and sound and video run smoothly.  It's a good workaround for me.