cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't install new Now TV player on a Mac please help!

I have downloaded and installed the Now TV player on my Mac (latest OS). The pop up box says the installation is successfully complete, however the player doesn't then appear in Applications.

WHen i hit play in NOW TV, using Safari (after clicking that I have the player installed), I get the following error:

'There is no application set to open the URL nowtvplayer etc...'

The dropdown with all the apps doesn't suggest the Now TV player which makes me think the install hasn't actually happened properly.

Any ideas very welcome. Thanks! (ps - this was a 1 Jan thing. Was absolutely fine watching in browser before today).

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also having this problem. It says it has installed but it has not and is no where to be found. Absolutly fed up with this nonsense trying to get sky streaming services to work on a macbook, nothing but problem after problem. My subscription is useless if a cannot watch it. Spend hours tonight and last night trying to solve this to no avail. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

There is still a little confusion as to where the application gets installed. If it has installed successfully, you will find it within the current user's Applications folder. eg. ~/Applications

We're aware that some users are still having issues installing the player, and we hope to find a proper solution soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too am having this issue. I can not find the app anywhere after downloading it twice. Running Safari 10.1.1 on 2011 Mac.

And this morning I bought a day pass thorugh iTunes on Apple TV and for love or money can't get it to work on Mac.

Thank goodness it only took 6.99 to discover what a second rate platform this for streaming TV. Non intuitive and from what i've read generally useless.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Being a non Mac owner i can't help you about the Now TV player apart from directing you to this help guide below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-not-activate-sky-sports-pass

Also, according to this help article below, if you purchase a sports pass via your Apple TV with your iTunes ID account then you are restricted to watching on Apple TV devices only (To watch a pass with other supported devices including Mac's you need to register and buy passes from the NowTV website rather than your Apple TV ID iTunes account).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/movies-entertainment-sports-apple-tv

When buying passes, i always tend to use the Now TV website by selecting My Account > My Passes, than purchasing a pass via my ATV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Schnapps,

Thanks so much for your message- I did not know that if purchasing from Apple TV you could not use the pass on other devices , but if done vice verse then it works across the board.

This is very helpful to know.

Have a good one,
G
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks so much for your message- I did not know that if purchasing from Apple TV you could not use the pass on other devices , but if done vice verse then it works across the board.

Hmmm...

From time to time my brother-in-law purchases day sports passes through his iTunes account for viewing on his Apple TV, which is registered as a device on my NOW TV account.

Whenever he does this he lets me know so I can watch sport (which is usually F1) on my devices. It works fine 😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you go into your NowTV app on your Apple TV device, then under "Settings" click on the "Help" button, the help section will explain about that if you want to use other supported devices appart from Apple TV's you need to go to the nowtv website and register an account with nowtv.

If you read and follow the instructions on that help page you should then be good to go if you decide in the future to purchase any new passes and watch on other devices as well (You will be entitled to 4 no devices with 2 simultaneous streams) where your ATV will count has one of the four devices.

Personally, i pefer "signing in" to my devices with my nowtv details and buying my passes either from the nowtv website or taking advantage of the voucher code deals from Argos, Amazon, Currys, Tesco etc rather than going through iTunes using your iTunes ID account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried, safari, chrome firefox. Same issue. It simply does not install to applications folder.

File downloads to out look folder. File says it is installing. then says cannot install try later after a pause.

Cleaned chache cookies browser history. deleted all reference to now tv

rebooted.

2 times on chat doing what i have just done and still cannot complete installation.

It simply attempts to install. But does not app does not install on macbook running OS 10.12.15 with 16GB of RAM

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had the same experience, with the Player at first loading but telling me I had immediately downloaded on too many devices (which I hadn't). Then when I reinstalled it, it refused to launch from any browsers (this is on my Mac). I got help from the team via Twitter at first, and then through Live Chat. I was surprised the support person didn't recognise the fault, since it seems to be happening to a lot of people, but eventually she gave me a link through which I could download and launch Now TV Player. At this point, it was still telling me I couldn't watch, as I had downloaded it on too many devices, and the support person had to reset my devices.

It is working now, but this seems a very glitchy, problematic system, considering it is now compulsory for all users. It needs to be sorted out soon or people will lose patience with the product and the company.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the exact same issue.  I was on live chat & the guy said he had to escallate the call & I would hear back in 24 hrs from tech support grr!