cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sound but No Picture

I have an LG 42LB585V TV.  It is a Smart TV with the Now TV  app displayed prominently when I connect to the Internet.  

I am able to launch the app and login to my account.  I can see that I have a Sports pass and can see the list of Sky Sports channels that are available to me.  

When I select one of these channels the Now TV multi-coloured balls start to rotate.  Then the screen freezes.  I hear the soundtrack of the selected channel  but all I can see on the screen is the list of available sports channels.  The Now TV app doesn't respond to my remote so I cannot select a different channel.  Although the app doesn't respond the TV does insofar as it shuts down when I press the Power button on the remote.

I normally use a wireless connection, however  I have also tried an ethernet cable and  I get the same result.  (And, yes, when I do this I change the Network settings on the TV to make sure that I really am using the cable).

BBC iPlayer is also an app that is available to me on the TV and that works perfectly well.

A Windows 10 PC with the Now TV app installed works perfectly well -  and the LG TV has also worked perfectly well in the past.

I am unable to uninstall the app on the TV but have used the Settings function to initialise it.

Suggestions are welcome

5 REPLIES 5
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

How odd... 

What's your NOW TV 'app' version? The newest is currently 2.4.0
[Which can be found by launching the NOW TV app then visiting: My Account and looking 'top right' of the screen...]

What's your LG televisions 'Software Version'. Is it the newsest version?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
The Now TV app is built-in to the TV software and I can't see a version
number for it.

The TV software is set to be updated automatically. It is currently

HOWEVER.... after I had discovered the software version I selected the
option to Check Software Updates. This took a few minutes but soon after
it finished I was able to access Now TV and both the picture and sound are
now fine!

I assume that the latest software update had not completed successfully.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
HOWEVER.... after I had discovered the software version I selected the option to Check Software Updates. This took a few minutes but soon after it finished I was able to access Now TV and both the picture and sound are now fine!

I assume that the latest software update had not completed successfully.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

My pleasure.

A logical approach to fault finding is usually the best approach... Glad you got it all sorted 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought that I had solved this problem but it seems it was only a temporary fix.

The problem is exactly the same as described  in my earlier post but what I have discovered is that whenever the TV is turned off I need to repeat the Check for Software Updates process.  If I don't do this I get sound only for NowTV programmes.  

Checking for software updates  takes a few minutes and always tells me that the software is already up to date (version 04.04.18).   

If I leave the TV in standby or  watch another channel and  return to NowTV then the picture is fine.  But if I turn the TV off  I need to go through the Check for Sotware Updates process again.

It's an irritation rather than a major problem but one I'd be happy to get rid of.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

NorTay wrote: 

It's an irritation rather than a major problem but one I'd be happy to get rid of.

Hi @Anonymous User,

I hate to say it but maybe a you'll have to perform a factory reset' (which can be found via the 'Option' setting). I have to do it every-so often on my LG TV's when they become unstable. Which usually occurs after a couple software updates Smiley Surprised

Sufficed to say, a factory reset means you'll have to re-tune all your TV channels and you'll loose all your pre-sets. So make a note of them before you give it a go!

Cheers