cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Picture quality on LG smart TV

Hi

I have recently moved house and have 3 LG smart tv's (2*2017 models & 1 2014 model). I have two tv's downstairs and one upstairs.

On the tv upsatirs and one of the tv's downstairs my Now TV picture qualifty is perfect and has no buffering whatsoever.

My TV in the front room though has very patchy quality and will occasionally need to buffer also.

Given Now TV is operating fine within my house its clearly not due to wifi speed as could often be the case. I get wifi speeds of upto 40mbps but can sometimes be in the 20's.

The issue can be resolved by having a wired connection from my BT hub to my TV but this isnt ideal as my hub is in a different room, a wired connection is obviously not needed for my other two tv's. Having said that occasiaonly even with a wired connection the picture can become blurry though this is much less frequent.

The TV with the poor quality is also the closest to the router.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Tom

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Could be several things, but assuming everything worked fine in your previous house I'd look a little further to definitely eliminate wifi issues first. Even though your downstairs TV is nearer the router, issues such as wall construction or other obstructions and location of nearby wifi networks could come into the equation. Try a simple reboot of your broadband router to start with, then maybe look at manually changing wifi channels, using a wifi analyser app on a phone or laptop to check strength and quality near the TV, or forcing the TV to connect to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network if your router allows this to see if one performs better than the other.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Andy.

The two tv's I have downstairs are actually brand new for this house. They are both located downstairs and like I say Now TV works fine on one but not the other.

The router is underneath the stairs connected to my master socket and obstructions exist to both tv's. The TV which is upstairs and therefore obvious obstructiuons exists works absolutely fine.

I should also add that on the TV with the problems, Netflix, Iplayer etc etc all work absolutely fine without problems, I stream in UHD on Netflix with great picture quality and no problems whatsoever.

I have a wifi analyser app and strength in the front room (where the faulty tv is located) is as strong as it is in the other rooms where th TV's are fine.

I will look into the TV connection as you suggest.

thanks so much again for taking the time to reply.

Tom

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Bit of a strange one as Ethernet connection mostly solves the problem yet from your description not an obvious wifi issue. I'm not an LG TV user so I'll tag @commanda6 who does use the LG app, and @Tony-D from the NOW TV Team to see if they have suggestions. Can't say when they will next be on the forum tho. Hope you get it sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy, I really appreciate your efforts.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks Andy, I really appreciate your efforts.

@Anonymous User What @Andy has said about the Smart Set Up is definitley the next logical step. Hopefully this is the root of the issue and it's a simple fix.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, Firstly i'm not technically gifted so please bear with me.

I've an LG Smart TV LH570V and i can watch Now TV just fine for most things. However when i try to watch sky sports the picture quality is dreadful. I've read various threads re router issues etc but i dont think this is the cause. Its hard wired to the router and i can get great quality through my lap top (via wifi) which i now have to sit next to my tv and connect via hdmi which is a right pain! 

Any ideas please?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Are you suffering from picture breakup with multi colours / macro blocking artifacts when watching the sports channels ?

If so you may be experiencing the symptoms other people have reported on this thread below ( see last two pages).

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/On-Sports-channels-picture-freezes-sound-continues/td-p/413820/page/63

If you are encountering buffering rather than pixelation or multi coloured screen issues then please ignore my post.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the reply Andy.

The two tv's I have downstairs are actually brand new for this house. They are both located downstairs and like I say Now TV works fine on one but not the other.

The router is underneath the stairs connected to my master socket and obstructions exist to both tv's. The TV which is upstairs and therefore obvious obstructiuons exists works absolutely fine.

I should also add that on the TV with the problems, Netflix, Iplayer etc etc all work absolutely fine without problems, I stream in UHD on Netflix with great picture quality and no problems whatsoever.

I have a wifi analyser app and strength in the front room (where the faulty tv is located) is as strong as it is in the other rooms where th TV's are fine.

I will look into the TV connection as you suggest.

thanks so much again for taking the time to reply.

Tom

Hi @Anonymous User

@Andy is correct Indeed, I am LG (webOS) user 

Can you post the model numbers of  your LG TVs and say which ones are working and which one isn't.

At least if their brand-new they are almost certain to use webOS and your 2014 TV is likely to be webOS as well. If NowTV is working on your other TVs are working that means there is nothing wrong with your account. If you're able to stream Netflix in ultra high-definition on two new TVs, then it's very unlikely to be  a normal connection problem. And as you said it works. 

I say a normal connection problem because I've noticed from your previous post that you have BT router BT kit usually has a function called 'smart setup' this has been known to cause issues with NowTV, particularly when using Wi-Fi. Although I have to say I find it rather odd that only one TV would be affected if 'smart setup, is the course. You could try disabling smart setup on your BT router to see if that resolves the problem. Although I must admit this is a bit of a shot in the dark , but there's no harm in trying

Although in this ever increasingly connected world. I always recommend to people that if they can use an ethernet connection than they should always use an ethernet connection over Wi-Fi. As your router is in a different room using powerline networking (home plugs) could be a decent option 

To disable smart setup. Have a look at the link below

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off%3F

I hope this helps you out Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.