cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Movies No Full Screen LG TV

When watching films it always seems to be widescreen and I'm unable to fit the movie to the entire screen by changing the aspect ratio-for example Watchmen. However on Netflix that same film fills the whole of the TV, which for me makes a much more enjoyable experience. Does anyone know why some films don't fit the screen but do when watching them on DVD or Netflix?
4 REPLIES 4
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Out of interest, which model of LG television do you have?

Most movies are purposefully created with black bars above and below the image. Some completely fill the screen. And some even have multiple aspect ratios (Insterstellar, Grand Budapest Hotel, Dark Knight, Kil Bill vol 2, etc). It's the Directors choice. It's their 'vision'. It's how they want you to view their movie!

If you are using the NOW TV app on your LG television then yes, you will not be able to adjust a movie (created with black bars above and below the image) to fill the screen. Indeed the same goes when using the Netflix of Amazon apps/content on your LG television 😉

Anyway, here's a link to some 'off forum' reading for you: Why you should embrace black bars

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks very much SeeMoreDigital for the info-that made an interesting read. My LG tv is 49 inch and 4K model 49UF770V. I was just curious wondering why the same film can be wide screen on NOW TV and full screen on Netflix? Also when watching a DVD it's possible to make the film full screen all be it sacrificing the outside of the film. But on NOWTV I have to watch the film in the format it's shown. Does NOW TV somehow lock the aspect ratio so it can't be changed via the TV?!
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

That's the same TV as meSmiley Happy

There is a setting on some digital video files which relates to aspect ratio. Although I forget what the setting is called.  if it set in a certain way your TV cannot alter the size of the picture. I believe if this setting is that the 'strict' you cannot alter the size of the picture to make it full screen

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

If you guys require a deeper explaination regarding how different streaming service providers offer different aspect ratio controls for the same movies, you'll have to provide examples.

Sufficed to say, if you have a NOW TV set-top box directly connected to your TV via HDMI, your TV will offer more 'aspect ratio' options than when using your LG televisions 'in-built' NOW TV app. The same goes for all other in-built apps 😉