cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindzi
Elite 2

LG Fans

Hi everyone

I am updating my 10 year old faithful LG tv to a newer model and my question is how do you find the NowTV app on your LG smart Tv's?

I currently use a black Now Tv box and am happy with it and it is stable and hardly ever buffers, should I stick to that or ditch it for the app on the TV? I have tried the app on my Samsung and I found that it was pretty terrible, with drops in picture quality and buffering.

I am hoping to have the tv wired rather than wifi

32 REPLIES 32
Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy   @commanda6 

So new tv arrived this morning and all apps, inc NowTV, are working a treat. Much better connected via ethernet so will invest in powerline adapters for my second tv now.

Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi Just in time for Monday's TWD! Enjoy! 🙂

image.jpeg

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy  @commanda6

So I got some powerline adaptors for my second tv...so pleased with them!

On a good day via wifi on second tv I got 12 mbps and at peak times only around 3 mbps Smiley Frustrated now getting consistant 33 mbps. Main LG tv that is connected straight into router is around 70 mbps so powerline adaptors are about half of that.

Really happy and thank you for suggesting them Smiley Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi wrote:

@Andy  @commanda6

So I got some powerline adaptors for my second tv...so pleased with them!

On a good day via wifi on second tv I got 12 mbps and at peak times only around 3 mbps Smiley Frustrated now getting consistant 33 mbps. Main LG tv that is connected straight into router is around 70 mbps so powerline adaptors are about half of that.

Really happy and thank you for suggesting them Smiley Happy

No worries @Lindzi Smiley Happy

A lot of people don't realise just how bad Wi-Fi can be particularly if you're in an area of its busy in terms of Wi-Fi traffic. So I'm glad you posted this because it will be quite good to point people towards to prove to them that Wi-Fi isn't always the best idea.  this if people are going to use Wi-Fi they must set it up correctly.

Wi-Fi is not necessarily plug and play. Unfortunately, Some people think that it is and that it will just work. People need to try and set their equipment onto a different Wi-Fi channel to neighbouring routers. and the further away from the router you are the worse your connection performance will be. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi isn't the best thing since sliced bread People who use the live sports channels in particular need to bear this in mind. This is why many of the forum regulars like myself try to point people towards ethernet or powerline networking ( home plugs)

I'm glad you're enjoying your new TV and if you have any questions, you can always post it here. Remember the silly question is always the question you don't askSmiley Very Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Lindzi
Elite 2

@commanda6

Well I am impressed with them, pretty much plug in, pair them up and they just did their thing. I have to say I was skeptical before purchase, but it was money well spent in my opinion. Nothing buffers anymore and quality of the stream on that TV is improved.

Ideally I would like to have everything directly connected to router but this was a no mess option that works, even if it is not as good as directly connected, it is way better than wifi Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi Oh what have you done!! Soon there will be nothing left for us to moan about, and you know how therapeutic a good moan is, our lives will be a little less fulfilled as a result! 😞

Oh hang on, there's still

image.jpeg

Result! 😄

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy

If you are worried about too much cheer.......'watch next' still doesn't work for me (apart from when I watched Deuce) so there's still that! But I was impressed so went off track for a bit, if I get home and find out that they are faulty and my house has burnt down I'll be back to it pronto.

Oh and Carl will be moaned about until he meets his end Smiley Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@commanda6 Just to be nosey, how do you find the app compared with NOW TV box? Just as good as? Any features missing? Reliable?

@Lindzi who knows, with a bit of luck all your Continue Watching woes might be about to disappear! 

@Andy . The UI is a little bit slower than the NowTV box sometimes but the picture quality is a bit better and that's probably because the upscaling on modern smart TVs is usually better than what you would get on a set-top box.

One other thing I would say, and this may also be of interest to @Lindzi is that the  NowTV live  channel streams can take 10 seconds or so to get the max quality, but once they are max quality assuming you have a stable connection, they stay at max quality. Although the UI seems to have sped up a bit on LG TV with the most recent app update v2.29

I use ethernet on my LG TV. I don't use Wi-Fi so I can't tell you how the NowTV app performs when using Wi-Fi, but if you're planning to use live channels a lot you shouldn't really be using Wi-Fi anyway. If your router is elsewhere in the house, then the best option would be to invest in powerline networking (home plugs)

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi wrote:

thanks @Andy

I read the forums and see lots of moans about inbuilt apps so thought that I could get a heads up from current users to see if it's worth the bother or just stick to the black box.

Hi @Lindzi @Andy

Allowme to put your mind at ease with regard to the apps on LG  WebOS TVs. All of the content service apps such as Netflix, Amazon NowTV, et al can be installed and uninstalled and will they are not part of the OS. The only stuff that cannot be deleted are the app/functions that are part of the core OS, so you neither need nor would you want to delete these in most cases.

I think people just get confused because it's not immediately obvious how to delete apps. But should you need help deleting apps post in this board and myself or @SeeMoreDigital will help youSmiley Happy I think @4268 has a pre webOS LG TV, but I'm not too sure. Am I right @4268 ?

when you get your new TV, if NowTV isn't installed out of the box you can install NowTV from the premium section in the LG content storeSmiley Wink 

It is on pre web webOS LG TVs where most of the apps are inbuilt and you cannot remove them

I thought I would tag @Andy on this post as well, just in case he wants to have a shopping accident and get an LG webOS TV Smiley LOL

Enjoy your new TVSmiley Happy

Lindzi
Elite 2

@commanda6 thank you for all the info I really appreciate it, yes router is right next to tv so will definitely connect via ethernet.

@Andy I know I know, I am rubbish but my intention is always there