cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG 42" Smart TV streaming quality issue

Since 26th December any movie on NowTv, via the LG smart TV, has been completely unwatchable. The streaming quality consistently drops to 300 and 500. On the TV the movie becomes pixelated almost immediately on starting the film. The only way to increase the steam quality is to quit NowTv, sign back in and continue watching the same movie. The streaming quality temporarily stays at about 3100 for 60 seconds and reverts back to 300-500 quality.

I have tried various troubleshooting avenues, but everything comes back to an issue with the NowTv LG app.

- simultaneously streamed the same movie, via my NowTv account, from both my PC and LG TV. The PC's streaming quality did not drop below 3100 but the TV did not go above 500.
- both PC and TV are directly wired to the router. Tried different LAN cables which made no difference
- LG app and LG firmware are up to date
- tried other streaming service, Netflix, which was fine.
- turned off TV and Router and tried again. Tried on different days too, including trying at 3am when traffic would be virtually nil in my area.
- checked Virgin Media's network status for my area and that is fine
- checked the packets and network status of the TV whilst streaming NowTv film and there appeared to be delay in NowTV packets coming through to the TV when compared to NowTV packets coming in to the PC

As you can see I've been very thorough with my tests and the only issue has come from the NowTV LG app.

I've put up with this for over a week now, but I'm not satisfied with the service being provided anymore. I pay monthly and have already lost out on over 25% of my months subscription, as the TV is the streaming device of choice.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can type or if there is an issue with the NowTV service.

Regards,
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the LG tv app and when we watch Now TV it can buffer 30-40 times during a 30 minute program even though we have a stream in excess of 30MB and noone is on the internet. We have the latest version of app. We are considering not continuing with it at the next renewal date.

Do sky have any suggestions?

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Canderson1,

Thanks for getting in touch, and informing us of this issue.

In order for us to look into this, we will need to gather some more information from you, if you could please answer the following questions, we'll be able to pass this on to our LG Team.

• TV Model
  • Current firmware
  • ISP
  • BB Speed based on a speed test
  • Issue description
  • Content type:
    • Movies, Entertainment or Sports
    • Live TV or On Demand
    • Average stream quality (300, 500, 800….)
    • Frequency of issue
    • Buffering (severity/frequency)
    • Have you changed your DNS settings to get non-UK services?
    • Do you knowingly run your BB through a different IP address

We look forward to hearing from you. We hope that with your help we'll be able to try our best to get these issues ironed out. 

Thanks, 

Karl

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Spoiler
having the same problem as all of these people......now tv are the problem and i'm sick of handing over my money and will never subscribe to sky now out of principal....you continue to take money knowing the product is defective
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am very sorry to hear you're having issues with the NOW TV app. Can you try a wired connection (if you're not already) as it can be a more stable connection. 

Also can you try re-booting the router or changing the router channel. Finally can you make sure no other device is using the wifi connection. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ranj

Such action is neither practical for me neither should it be neccessary.  I have previously tried all recommended options.....the problem, as is obvious from the numerous posts rests with now tv........are you able to arrange refund for me for today as i paid £7 and missed the rugby with new zealand.  This product is not fit for purpose.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

I'm sorry to hear that. I will send you an e-mail very shortly.

Thanks

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I am having the exact same issues regarding streaming quality. when you speak to an adviser all they suggest is upodating firmware and checking your internet connection. I have superfast fibre broadband and I can sgtream HD content all day long via Netflix/Amazon Prime Video etc but the moment I stream NOWTV it instantly drops from 3100 too 300 stream quality.

Judging by the abundance of community feedback this remains an issue between LG and NowTV. I am currently on a 3 month trial due to having a pass when I purchased my LG Tv

I use an xbox 360 in another room further away from the router and it has no technical issues whatsoever.

I have just been on a live chat with NowTv who informed me the technical team are looking into the issues and it should be rectified shortly. 

Quite frankly if issues are not resolved by the end of my 3 month trial I will be cancelling.

In this day and age, issues like this are normally rectified within hours/days but judging by some posts on here it has been on-going for months. 

Im not holding out for a miracle. The money that SKY use to invest and maintain their services is phenomenal and I would think they would want this issue sorted as soon as possible so they do not lose customers.

A very disgruntled NOWTV customer

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too am having the same issues on my LG 42" screen! Nearly a year later! Wow. How come NOW TV haven't fixed this yet?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for your post and updating us on your issue.

I understand that you ar experiencing similar issues with your LG Device.  I'm sorry to see that this has been an ongoing issue for you.

Could you kindly tell me the troubleshooting steps you have used to recify this problem?

If you could kindly try the following steps below that would be fantastic!

1. Move the router closer to your TV

2. Make sure that not too many devices are not using the same internet network as this can cause buffering issues. So please try disconnecting the devices from the internet.

3. Reboot your router

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Ruth

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has this issue ever been resolved with anybody running NowTV on an LG?
I don't want to go round in circles with Sky being told to try everything that's already been tried.

I have a 152mb Virgin Fibre package. I can stream Netflix in UHD 4k as with Amazon yet with the NowTV app, within a minute of starting a film at 3100 stream quality, it drops to 300.

I'm hard wired into the router, no wifi. Peak and off peak is the same. Running latest LG firmware with latest NowTV app installed.
55" UHD LG TV 2014 model.

Will this issue ever be resolved or should I give up with NowTV on my LG?